Buckwheat flour

Extending the topic a bit, I just discovered that Tesco's sell buckwheat grain. I will order some next time I do an on-line shop. It could be good for tabbouleh or other grain based dishes.

I failed miserably yesterday to get buckwheat. I thought it was widely available in the supermarket - turns out I was wrong. I will have to try the health food shop on Friday.

If you do make tabbouleh with buckwheat, expect a nice but disapproving response from me (would insert smiley face if I only knew how to). As a traditionalist when it comes to tabbouleh, I find it hard to accept anything other than bulghur/cracked wheat as a basis. I keep coming across tabbouleh made with couscous here and it just doesn't taste or feel right. And some of the bespoke mixes are downright unpleasant.

I spent a lot of time the other day looking for Colin Spencer's recipe for kasha - but I just can't find it. There is a recipe available at Natashaskitchen.com which looks like a good starting point if you're interested. I do feel that kasha is more of a winter meal though and perhaps better left just as an idea for a few months.

(would insert smiley face if I only knew how to).
Click on the smiley face in to toolbar at the top of your post and you will see a range of emoticons to choose from! Like this:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 08.59.08.png

It's been bugging me since I first saw this thread - I remembered buying some buckwheat flour earlier this year but for life of me couldn't recall what I did with it. Well, I've just found out - I used it to make a topping for a rhubarb crumble. I also added some nuts to the mix, either hazelnuts or almonds I think - probably should have written it down!

Back
Top Bottom