Recipe Buckytom's Split Pea Soup with Ham

buckytom

Veteran
Local time
9:51 AM
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham
This is the recipe from my first attempt at split pea soup, which got rave reviews at home. It was culled from about a dozen recipes, utilizing a leftover meaty/fatty ham bone from our Easter dinner.

Ingredients:
1 large ham bone, leftover from a roast
2+ cups cubed ham, reserved from the roast
1 cup cubed fat, the good white stuff from under the skin of the ham (you can substitute fatty bacon or salt pork)
3 large white onions, diced .65 cm
4 large carrots, diced 1.25 cm
4 celery stalks, diced 1.25 cm
4 cans (1/2 liter) of chicken stock
4+ cups of water (you can add more to make it thinner later)
1 kg dried green split peas
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, about 5" long
4 bay leaves
croutons
white pepper to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, render the oil from about half of the ham fat until it becomes crisp, remove crisped fat (wrap in paper towel and hide for a treat for yourself when no one's looking), and add the onions to sweat.
When beginning to become translucent, deglaze with a half can of chicken stock, and transfer to the slow cooker's crock.

Render the rest of the fat until crisp, hide the rest of the crisped fat in a place that someone who's looking for it won't find it, and sweat the celery and carrots in the remaining oil, deglaze with the other half of the can of chicken stock, and transfer to crock pot.

While sweating the veggies, pick thru to remove any stones and rinse the split peas. Add to crock pot, along with the rest of the stock and water.
Stir the veggies, stock, water, and peas. Nestle the ham bone into the peas, as well as the bay leaves and the sprig of rosemary, cut in two.

Set the crock pot on high, cover, and don't touch it for about 4 hours. Stir in the reserved cubed ham, and let it cook for about a half an hour. If it's too thick, add 1/2 cup of water at a time and stir in well to reach the desired consistency.

Serve in large bowls, topped with croutons and white pepper to taste.

My mum used to make split pea and bacon soup when I was a kid which I think must have been similar. She used a smoked bacon joint I think and I remember it had carrots in it also.

Back
Top Bottom