Building a Sandwich

We make a stuffed portabello "burger," with a reduced/sweetened balsamic vinegar drizzle. The cooked stuffing has the portabello stem, onions, red bell, garlic, basil, bread crumbs, and I don't remember what else. Cheese is optional. The mushroom gets grilled gill side down, then stuffed, then grilled top side down to finish cooking the mushroom and heat the stuffing through (and melt cheese if using).

Oh - that sounds lovely! Its the raw mushroom I'm having issues with. :ohmy: Sorry @ElizabethB.

Just clean out the gills in portabellos before griling. Otherwise, you have a brown, runny mess. I just use a spoon and gently scrape them out over some paper towels so I can throw the mess away. The mushrooms get lightly oiled before grilling so they don't stick.

Just clean out the gills in portabellos before griling. Otherwise, you have a brown, runny mess.
Oh! I feel like I'm arguing about everything today. I cook Portobello and Portobellini mushrooms quite often and have never done this. I mean, I don't find they make a brown runny mess. Grilling however means putting on a barbecue? It gets confusing because grilling in the UK means cooking under a heat source. I generally pan fry Portabellinis or Potabellos as here:

fullsizeoutput_272e.jpeg

Yes, on a grill over charcoal outside. I find the gills exude a brown watery fluid once they are cooked, especially if you are taking time to stuff them and then put back on the grill. Besides that, more room for stuffing if you take out the gills. BTW, when I say portabello burgers, I am talking about using the large portabello mushrooms that are big enough for 1 to be used as a regular sized burger, not the little ones in your picture. I don't have a problem with the gills in the little ones, it's just the giant sized ones.

@morning glory
I agree with @medtran49. I remove the gills from the large portabellas - raw or grilled. I have "gilled" portabellas on the grill, in the broiler or in a cast iron skillet on the range top.

I have used portabellas - without gills - raw or grilled - instead of bread for an open faced "sandwich". Grilled for a hot sandwich (burgers) - raw for a cold deli meat sandwich.

@morning glory
I agree with @medtran49. I remove the gills from the large portabellas - raw or grilled. I have "gilled" portabellas on the grill, in the broiler or in a cast iron skillet on the range top.

I have used portabellas - without gills - raw or grilled - instead of bread for an open faced "sandwich". Grilled for a hot sandwich (burgers) - raw for a cold deli meat sandwich.

OK - its just not something which has ever occurred to me to do. I don't cook the full size portabellos very often though. And in fact, I've never heard it mentioned in a recipe - but then I haven't ever checked out that many portabello recipes!

Last edited:
When I had my landscaping business I worked long hours - supervising multiple jobs, receiving shipments of plants and material, picking up smaller orders of plants, drawing plans, speaking with clients. I would run two jobs at a time - two really good foremen. My personal thing was that I always placed the plants. A crazy but rewarding life. Also EXHAUSTING! Also calorie burning. My favorite super was a "Nasty Sandwich". Whole grained bread grilled in butter topped with an over medium egg, bacon, cheese, lettuce. Closed then grilled in butter again. Probably why I now have high cholesterol.

Sssh *Dirty food secret*. One of my favourite sandwiches is white bread with dairy free spread (yes, butter would be nice but I am allergic), 4 grilled fish fingers, mayonnaise or tartar sauce or Tiptree - Wilkin and sons (not heinz) tomato ketchup.
This is excellent when tired/ill and no energy to cook.

On a more foodie note, my other favourite sandwiches are fresh crab sandwiches in Cornwall eaten on the beach, and M&S used to do a poached salmon sandwich with dill mayonnaise and leaves which was my favourite train sandwich,. My budget is reduced so I make my own lunch for the train now and make salad with home made hummous. I don't think sandwiches travel well so would rather have a salad.

Last edited:
Tiptree - Wilkin and sons (not heinz) tomato ketchup.
I've not tried that one or seen it for sale...

One of my favourite sandwiches is white bread with dairy free spread (yes, butter would be nice but I am allergic), 4 grilled fish fingers, mayonnaise or tartar sauce
I like fish finger sandwiches too - no mayo or tartare for me (I'm intolerant of them).

Back
Top Bottom