Recipe Burger with avocado, onion, sage, mustard relish and fresh sage tortillas

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:59 PM
2018-05-18 17.44.35.jpg
This is a recipe from the Burger Meisters cookbook by Marcel Desaulniers. These are GREAT burgers!

Fresh Sage Tortillas

2 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp minced fresh sage
1 Tbsp vegetable shortening
1/2 cup plus 6 Tbsp warm water

Shift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in sage. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until you have a consistency of coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in 1/2 cup warm water. Work the flour in from all sides using a rubber spatula, adding 1 Tbsp of water at a time until the dough comes together. Gently knead dough on a board with bench flour until it forms a smooth ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for an hour. Place the dough ball on a lightly floured board and divide into 8 equal pieces, forming them into small balls. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes. Using a tortilla press or a rolling pin, press or roll the balls into about 5 inch diameter circles. Stack, separated with parchment paper and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until ready to use. May be kept in refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Onion, Sage and Mustard Relish

1-1/2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup cider vinegar
4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp finely chopped sage
salt and pepper to taste

Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in a medium saucepan until hot. Add the onions and cook about 4 minutes until they are translucent. Add cider vinegar and sugar, and cook until mixture thickens and starts to brown slightly, stirring frequently, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mustard and sage. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. If you want to make ahead, cool, transfer to a storage container, and refrigerate. Gently heat to warm it up before serving.

Piquant Avocado

2 ripe avocados
1 lemon
1 small jalapeno chile, roasted, skinned, seeded, and minced
3/4 tsp finely chopped cilantro
2 dashes tobasco sauce
salt and paper to taste

Cut, pit and peel the avocados. Dice flesh into large chunks and place in a bowl. Use the back of a dinner fork or a potoato masher to mash them to a coarse texture. Juice lemon into a small bowl, remove seeds and drizzle over avocado. Mix. Add the jalapeno, cilantro, tobasco sauce, salt and pepper, and gently fold in to combine. Serve immediately. You may keep overnight in refrigerator with plastic wrap covering the surface of the avocado mix to keep air from getting to it and turning it brown. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Burgers
2 pounds 90/10 ground beef (ground round or ground sirloin)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup minced onions
1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, skinned, seeded, and minced
2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 slices smoked Monterey Jack cheese or smoked gouda
8 slices ripe tomato

In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add onions and chile and cook for a few minutes until onions are translucent. Cool to room temperature. The original recipe puts them in raw but we don't like that.

In a large bowl, mix ground beef, onions, chiles, salt, and pepper. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into 1-1/4 inch thick burgers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.

Grill the burgers over a medium wood or charcoal fire to desired doneness, about 5-6 minutes each side for rare, 7-8 minutes for medium, and 10-12 minutes for well. Top each burger with a slice of cheese, cover grill and let cheese melt. Remove the burgers from the grill.

Lightly brush each tortilla on 1 side with vegetable oil. Place on grill or in a medium-high saute pan oiled side down and toast until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, brush the top side with oil, then turn over and toast the other side for about 1 minute.

On the less toasted side of the tortilla, spread 2 Tbsp of the avocado mix, place 2 tomato slices, a burger, and top with 1 Tbsp of the mustard relish. Place another tortilla grilled side up on top. Cut each burger into quarters for ease of eating if desired. Serve.

Last edited:
I really like the sound of the sage tortillas and the piquant avocado - and of course, a vegan burger could be substituted. :okay:

I'm on a private quest at the moment to find good vegan burger recipes...

Honestly, I think a grilled, maybe stuffed portabello cap would be a good substitute as well.

I'm on a private quest at the moment to find good vegan burger recipes...

There's a vegetarian burger in our Burger Meisters cookbook, which is a compilation of recipes for various types of "burgers" from successful chefs. It has leeks, wild mushrooms, tomatoes, peas, onions, garlic, spinach, basil, parm, etc. in it. The parm of course means it's not vegan but I'm not sure if there is a substitute. We've never tried this recipe but have been happy with the others that we've tried out of the book. I'll type it out if you want.

The parm of course means it's not vegan but I'm not sure if there is a substitute.

I make fake parm and have some to hand. You could always photograph the recipe if it is long to type out - I'd like to see it. The main issue with vegan burgers is the binding agent and the lack of fat. I'm thinking of using vegan suet as part of a mix - to get that fatty taste and 'mouth feel'. I'm not sure anyone has tried that. Maybe with good reason! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom