Burgers, What Are Your Favorites?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
4:25 AM
There are so many kinds. Do you have any that you are quite fond of? These are some of mine:
Really thick with S&P only, served with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and mayo, with or without cheese.
Onion, mushroom and blue cheese
Juicy Lucy
Meatball sliders
Beef and Andouille

Since some folks eat vegetarian and vegan burgers, I didn't post it in the "Meat and Poultry" section.

Buffalo (really bison) burgers are my top pick. I really like the bite and chewiness of a very lean burger.
Cooked over hardwood charcoal with a generous sprinkling of salt.

Top it with American cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomato, raw onion, and ketchup on a soft white bun.

Lamb burgers would be my second favourite. On, or rather in a pita with chopped romaine, raw onion, diced tomato and green bell peppers, feta, and tsatsiki sauce.

If Im going to have a regular, 85/15 or 80/20 beef burger, I like it on a brioche bun, topped with a griddled slice of either Canadian bacon or Taylor ham, pickled hot cherry peppers, tomato and onion, ketchup and mayo. I sometimes sub bbq sauce or A1 sauce for the ketchup and mayo.

Finally, if I'm forced to eat a turkey or chicken burger, I'd doctor it up with sauteed mushroom and onions, Swiss cheese, and brown gravy on a whole wheat bun.

Oh, I forgot the occasional "4 B" burger cooked over a campfire: Beef, blackened, with bacon and blue cheese on a soft white bun.

Mushroom and blue cheese burgers

A burger from the BurgerMeister cookbook that uses homemade sage tortillas as buns, a mustard/onion/sage sauce, avocados.

Another burger from the BurgerMeister cookbook, the Chicago beer burger with beer braised onions, and mushroom ketchup.

Stuffed portabello burgers (sauteed onions, red bells, mushroom stems, a little cilantro, S and P) with red bell pepper sauce and gruyere or muenster cheese.

No recipe, just burgers with sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese crumbled on top.

I never put cheese on a burger (nor do I order one with cheese). The only reason I can think of is my recollection of the past when the cheese added to a burger (in UK) was that square rubbery/plastic stuff that I really disliked.

My favourite has to be the chilli burger which I first came across in a diner somewhere between Houston and Galveston back in the 80s. Basically it was just a beef patty in a bun with sliced pickled jalapeños on top. I still build a similar one to this day when I am able to get the jalapeños.

jalapeno burger.jpg

The only reason I can think of is my recollection of the past when the cheese added to a burger (in UK) was that square rubbery/plastic stuff that I really disliked.

Those squares of cheese are very strange - but any cheese can be used. Blue cheese is good.

The only reason I can think of is my recollection of the past when the cheese added to a burger (in UK) was that square rubbery/plastic stuff that I really disliked.
I'm thinking you must have had something like this:

aXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA1Mi83Njgvb3JpZ2luYWwvYW1lcmljYW4tY2hlZXNlLTEyMDYyOS5qcGc=.jpg

These abominations are known as American Cheese...with "cheese" being only very loosely accurate. Technically, it's a processed cheese product, with some cheese, some milk solids, and probably some plastic and tasty things like whey, protein concentrate, sodium citrate, and calcium phosphate.

Now, as for my favorite burger: I had the best burger I've ever had in my life at Michael Symon's "B Spot", which the server happily told me was a blend of 65% chuck, 25% sirloin, and 10% brisket. I decided to make my own with proportions of 40% chuck, 40% sirloin, and 20% brisket, and I have to say I liked it even better. The brisket brings such a BEEF flavor that it's incredible.

Another thing B Spot does that I love is that they have an "Atomic Burger" with ghost chili peppers embedded in the burger itself. They add it so judiciously that it's spicy without being overpowering. I've made my own with pickled habaneros embedded in the meat, and it's terrific.

Now, on to toppings. Yet another thing I love about B Spot is that they have a "pickle bar". It's just a stand in the middle of the restaurant with a wide range of pickled things: spicy and garlicky dill pickles, pickled green tomatoes, kimchi, pickled red onions, pickled jalapenos. My favorite topping on a burger is pickled red onions and kimchi. I am quite happy to have nothing else on it as long as I have those two things.

In-n-out cheeseburgers.

Posted this elsewhere...

Tyler Florence's brisket burger

Mushroom onion and swiss burgers.

Caprese burgers - mozzarella cheese, sliced tomato, with pesto sauce smeared on the bun.

White Castle's cheeseburgers after the bars close down, in years gone by lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom