Recipe Butter pecan shortbread cookies

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:19 PM
2019-01-26 17.59.56.jpg

My cookies got a bit too brown. Our oven has been acting wonky of late and I think it's running hot, among other things. I think we'll be oven shopping soon.

1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter (softened)
1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp butter flavoring
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped (preferably with a knife)
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup coarse sugar or vanilla sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 325. Line a cookie sheet pan with parchment paper.

Mix butter and dark brown sugar together with an electric hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add in flavorings and salt, mix well. Stir in nuts. Gently fold in flour, kneading lightly with your hands to mix. Do NOT overwork the dough.

Press or roll to 1/4" thickness. Using a 1-1/2" square or round cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place on prepared baking sheet. Reknead dough as gently and as little as possible to bring scraps together and cut additional cookies. Sprinkle with the garnish sugar. Back for 12-15 minutes until cookies are just beginning to brown around the edges. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container. Makes 12-14 cookies.

Last edited:
I came across it years ago when I was decorating cakes a lot and needed to make frosting that tasted good, I.e. like buttercream, but also had to hold its shape at room temperature or warmer, so the frosting had to be made from something like Crisco.

I came across it years ago when I was decorating cakes a lot and needed to make frosting that tasted good, I.e. like buttercream, but also had to hold its shape at room temperature or warmer, so the frosting had to be made from something like Crisco.

Sounds like a great store cupboard secret ingredient.

Our butter is as good as anything around the world. We love butter here so I'm going to make these. The grandkids love shortbread so it will be a hit dipped in milk. I too love shortbread. Can't wait. It's being done after I make tomato sauce.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom