Recipe Cajun Roux

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
3:32 PM
Roux is the basis of many traditional Cajun recipes.

It is a slow process so I usually make 2 or 3 quarts at a time. It stores well in the refrigerator. It may also be processed for canning and stored in the pantry.

Tools

Cast iron skillet
Wooden spoon

Ingredients

Equal parts all purpose flour and vegetable (Canola) oil

Time and patience

Method

Put the skillet on a low to medium heat
Add the flour and oil
Stir, stir, stir, stir.

The flour and oil will gradually begin to darken. Do not stop stirring! If it darkens too quickly lower the heat. It should never smell burnt.

The finished product should be a very dark brown (think dark chocolate)

You now have the basis for Cajun cooking.

Well I've learned something already. The only sort of roux I know about is white roux. The classic base for béchamel sauce. I can see there may be a fine line between burned roux and Cajun roux!

Elizabeth,

The only rouille ( roux ) I am accustomed to making is: a rich, aromatic, French Rouille .. It is used for French Fish Soups ..
The key ingredient is: Saffron. The other ingredients are: home made mayo, red peppers roasted, Evoo, lemon juice freshly squeezed, cayenne and minced garlic .. Note, this is not exactly a roux !

I do not consider Bechamel used for lasagnes a roux as it is not called a roux, however, I make this for lasagnes and also cauliflower which is boiled to near tender and then drained & patted dry gently as not to break the florettes and placed in an earthenware, and baked with a bechamel covering ..

I do not consider Bechamel used for lasagnes a roux as it is not called a roux,
I think this could be a language issue. A roux is a simple mix of oil and flour used as a base for sauces. According to Larousse Gastronomique, a roux is 'a cooked mixture consisting of equal amounts of flour and butter used to thicken sauces'.

Rouille is different and is a wonderful thing used to accompany fish soup and made with mayo and saffron. Delicious!

I think this could be a language issue. A roux is a simple mix of oil and flour used as a base for sauces. According to Larousse Gastronomique, a roux is 'a cooked mixture consisting of equal amounts of flour and butter used to thicken sauces'.

Rouille is different and is a wonderful thing used to accompany fish soup and made with mayo and saffron. Delicious!

Definitely. Yes, I am a grand fan of Rouille ..

I understand and know now what Roux is exactly ..

Thank you and have a nice day ..

Back
Top Bottom