Cakes or Baked Goods that have gone out of fashion

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:54 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
A thread got me thinking (which is a bad thing when I'm on holiday) about called and other baked goods that have gone out of fashion. And I thought we could make a list of them and see if we can add some recipes for them to the site. I am interested in making some of them...
I think I may have some recipes scanned in on my laptop from my grannies recipe book which I could add to here...

What others are there?

Tunis cake
You don't see them as much now , always had them at Xmas
A brightly colored Madera cake with thick chocolate

Swiss Rolls.
Parkin/Perkin. Still eaten at certain times of the year, I know.

They may be still around or you may be able to buy them but I remember when I was younger my mom was always making lemon rolls. I remember watching her rolling it up. It was so good. I haven't seen anybody make them in years.

7b328655e8bf9662cd32c6a69a9f3a60.jpg

Looks something like this only way better.

Parkin/Perkin. Still eaten at certain times of the year, I know.
Parkin is still available quite easily. I love it and make it frequently.
In fact, somewhere on here there is a recipe for it as well.
Tunis cake
now that is a new one for me. I have not heard of that one. Do you have a recipe you can post up please?

Tunis cake

20cm/8in deep cake tin.

Ingredients
For the topping
Preparation method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 (fan 160C). Grease and line a 20cm/8in deep cake tin with baking parchment.

2. Add the butter, sugar, flour, ground almonds, eggs and lemon zest to the bowl of a freestanding electric mixer (alternatively use a sturdy bowl and a hand-held mixer). Beat on high speed for a minute. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin and level the surface with a palette knife or spatula.

3. Bake for 45 minutes, then cover with foil to prevent the top from browning and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack.

4. For the topping, pour the cream into a small pan and bring almost to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted. When cool but not setting, pour the chocolate mixture in an even coat over the cooled cake (that is still in the tin) and put aside to set.

5. To decorate, colour 175g/6oz of the marzipan with green food colouring to turn it the colour of holly leaves. Using a holly leaf shaped cutter, cut out 20 holly leaves. Mark the veins with a knife, lay over a rolling pin and leave to dry (this curls the leaves slightly). Colour the remaining marzipan with the red food colouring and roll into 30 ‘holly berry’ size balls. Leave to dry.

6. To serve, remove the cake from the tin and carefully peel off the parchment paper so that you get a clean line between the cake and the chocolate layer. Arrange the holly leaves and berries in a wreath around the edge of the cake.

Madeleines? Do you remember them? That's a poor joke by the way...
Not a poor joke at all. I was sitting with my husband in the dining room of the Mermaid in Rye. He picked up a Madeleine and said 'Ah, reminds me of something.' I laughed so hard my wine came out through my nose!

Back
Top Bottom