Calling all Americans!

That's definitely a lot of oil :eek: so it's basically a bechamel with sausage.

When I watched my sil make it the first time, I was shocked to see her pour a half of a bottle if oil into the frying pan. She then cooked eggs in the oil which resembled poached eggs, but they were poached in oil.

After setting the eggs aside, she crumbled in the sausage to brown. I thought she would pour off much if not most of the oil before making the gravy, but no. Heart attack gravy, as it were.

And yes, it's effectively sausage bechamel.

I don't have a recipe. My late grandfather used to make a bacon tomato gravy. FWIW. I don't only put gravy on biscuits. I put it on my entire breakfast. I coat my eggs, biscuits, sausage links in gravy. It looks like one giant mess.

My lovely wife makes a spicy sausage gravy. She mixes a spicy salsa into the gravy.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't have a recipe. My late grandfather used to make a bacon tomato gravy. FWIW. I don't only put gravy on biscuits. I put it on my entire breakfast. I coat my eggs, biscuits, sausage links in gravy. It looks like one giant mess.

My lovely wife makes a spicy sausage gravy. She mixes a spicy salsa into the gravy.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Tell me, tell me. I have to go shopping on Friday (overnight Thursday for anyone west of New York). I have gravy ideas, but nobody has come up with a proper biscuit recipe - don't make me use Google.:rolleyes:

Once we have got the biscuits and gravy out of the way, @morning glory and I are going to make you lot cook Toad in the Hole with PROPER onion gravy.

What's wrong with the link I gave you? That's a pretty standard American biscuit.

Since Craig didn't get his way of making it up, I'll give mine. Brown a tube of standard/regular flavor breakfast sausage over medium heat. Stir in and cook chopped onions if desired. Stir in enough flour to bind the rendered fat and cook for several minutes (you are making a roux). Stir in enough chicken or pork stock to make a thick gravy. Stir in enough heavy cream to make a medium gravy and warm through over medium low. Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't have a recipe per se. Every Southern girl my age that cooked learned to make this from their mother or grandmother and they didn't use a recipe either. It was just something you did.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the link I gave you? That's a pretty standard American biscuit.

Since Craig didn't get his way of making it up, I'll give mine. Brown a tube of standard/regular flavor breakfast sausage over medium heat. Stir in and cook chopped onions if desired. Stir in enough flour to bind the rendered fat and cook for several minutes (you are making a roux). Stir in enough chicken or pork stock to make a thick gravy. Stir in enough heavy cream to make a medium gravy and warm through over medium low. Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't have a recipe per se. Every Southern girl my age that cooked learned to make this from their mother or grandmother and they didn't use a recipe either. It was just something you did.
Ooops, yes sorry, I had a bit of a brain fart then :o_o:

regular flavor breakfast sausage

As I understand it, breakfast sausage is specifically an American thing although probably close to some UK sausages. In the UK there are many many different types of sausages. Pork is most popular but there are beef and pork or just beef, turkey, venison etc. The seasoning also varies as does the percentage of meat in the sausages. The most basic British 'banger' is pork with a proportion of breadcrumbs added to pad it out. These days the fashion is to look for 100% pork but personally I rather like the sort with added bread. We don't get the flat breakfast sausages that are common in parts of the USA. All ours come sausage shaped in skins.

So - how do we choose the sausage? We can easily buy pork sausage meat and/or ground beef and use that instead of sausages if necessary. What sort of seasoning would regular breakfast sausage contain?

Last edited:
I'll have to look up the ingredients in one of my charcuterie books. It is a fresh sausage that isn't put into a casing. Jimmy Deans is so cheap and we don't make it very often, so we don't make our own. It is a pork sausage. I always make bulk, fresh, unsmoked andouille when we make it, usually 4 pounds are kept aside. Beside sausage gravy, we make other dishes with the bulk. I like quite a bit of black pepper in regular sausage gravy and always add it to my plated biscuits and gravy. When I make the andouille version, I don't add extra. I like over easy eggs on top of the biscuits and gravy.

Last edited:
As Craigsy mentioned, Jimmy Dean brand sausage is THE standard type sausage to use in the gravy, but I've had it with other types that were as good.

If ypu want to make it yourself or buy a similar sauage, it is about 80/20 all pork mince mixed with sage, parsley, thyme, coriander, and s&p.

I'd be interested in trying to make a healthier version using a little grapeseed oil, chicken sausage, and skim milk and the recipe that med posted above.

Jimmy Dean has at least 3 flavors of breakfast sausage that I know of: hot, sage, and maple.

You can always tone down the spice, but knowing you, MG, you'll probably add dried ghost chilis.

Back
Top Bottom