Calling all Americans!

....and we're off.

20180414_163048.jpg

The final result.

20180414_171228.jpg

Well, I think it was a success, the biscuits were beautifully light and the gravy tasted exactly as I thought it should, and for that I'm happy with the result.

However, scones with pork porridge is a fairly alien concept for Brits and it took some getting used to.

I will certainly make the biscuits again, Lullabelle and I agreed that with the addition of a bit of grated cheddar they would make excellent cheese scones, so I will try that too.

Thanks to all those who contributed, it was fun. So, do you lot fancy a go at Toad in the Hole?

I used two pork sausages (skinned) - there was very little seasoning so I added cayenne, allspice and fresh thyme. Then I roughly made it into little clumps.

fullsizeoutput_3097.jpeg

The verdict: my partner (who ate all the above) said it was tasty but he didn't think he would be able to eat anything for the rest of the day. :laugh: My thoughts were that 'less is more', where biscuits and gravy are concerned. I could have eaten one biscuit with about a quarter of the above mixture. Its comforting and I rather like it with the cayenne to spice it up. For me the fat content of the pork is too much for me together with the creamy sauce - but I'm wondering if the pork used in American recipes is different.

The verdict: my partner (who ate all the above) said it was tasty but he didn't think he would be able to eat anything for the rest of the day. :laugh: My thoughts were that 'less is more', where biscuits and gravy are concerned. I could have eaten one biscuit with about a quarter of the above mixture. Its comforting and I rather like it with the cayenne to spice it up. For me the fat content of the pork is too much for me together with the creamy sauce - but I'm wondering if the pork used in American recipes is different.

I usually eat 1 biscuit with the gravy and, as I wrote previously, we are pretty lethargic the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom