Calling all Americans!

They are the best looking versions I've seen.

Right up there with poutine from Canada and Toad in the Hole from the Brits. Heart attack on a plate mmmmm.

Maybe lighter sides like roast tomato would be ideal.

I'd say mushrooms but I cook them in butter so they are not light.

Hey, you guys haven't heard from me in a while, so I s'pose I may as well jump in here....
Looks like I'm late to the thread, but as I've made hundreds of batches of B&G, I'll toss
my 2 cents in anyways.

I'll start by noting that Velvet's B&G as posted above looks pretty good, and pretty traditional.
Good job, VC!

Secondly I must mention that there are many ways to make this, and many end results and styles.
So I must say that my ideal B&G is flaky butter biscuits with semi peppery sausage gravy.
I've perfected it (to mine and my family's liking) over the years, so here is my current method.
(And since you put out the call for Americans, you're gonna get it in US measurements. lol)

For years I was making biscuits from scratch, kind of a hassle, finally settled into using
refrigerated "tube-type" flaky butter biscuits for convenience--after all the most crucial
component of the dish is the gravy. Any biscuit will work, but IMO the flakies are the best.
As was noted above, its not an exact recipe. More madness than method.

You will need:
1 lb of sausage, I prefer a mix of hot, and regular or maple sausage.
(if using straight sausage, plan on using some black pepper--a little kick is crucial in B&G.)
3 oz of Beef or pork chorizo (this is totally optional. )
1 large onion
Milk (approx 2 cups)
Flour (about a cup or so, we shall see!)
Any spices you may want.

When I have all the gravy components on hand, I can make the entire dish in the time it takes
to bake the biscuits, approx 10 to 12 minutes.
1.Preheat oven to moderate, 350°F.
1. Preheat a saute' pan to medium high heat, with a few tablespoons of your favorite fat--oil, marg, etc,
2. While that's heating, dice up a medium onion-- brown, white or sweet, red onions don't work so great in B&G.
3. Drop in and saute until just translucent.
4. At this point, go ahead and put your biscuits in the oven, set timer for specified time.
5. Add sausage and chorizo (if using) cook til browned.
Do not drain it-- the fat is a BIG part of what provides the rich sausage gravy flavor.
6. Sprinkle about a third cup of flour over the mixture. Stir in til its all moistened. (no white showing)

7. Now the process begins..... add some milk, (about a half cup) stirring, until it just starts to become "thin" .
Cook it down til no longer watery. Then add another 1/3 cup flour. Stir it in.
8. Repeat this process until you have gravy amount you want. It usually takes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk.
Of course the more you make the less "rich" the meat mixture will be. But the flavor will still be awesome.
It yields about 4 to 6 cups of finished gravy.

Important note: The TRICK..... to not getting lumpy gravy (flour lumps) is to not add more flour until the
mixture has thickened again. If the milk is still watery and you add flour to that..... dreaded LUMPS will occur!

Note number 2.... when finishing the gravy, add enough milk to make it a little thin, after final cooking of 2 or 3 minutes.
This is because as it cools it gets thicker. TOO thick if you're not careful. However, you can always add more milk to
thin it out, as long as it cooks for a couple minutes to keep the flavors mixed.

Split the biscuits on the plate, ladle gravy over, and there you have it!

The gravy keeps well for several days in the fridge, and it can be frozen too, but I'm not fond of doing t.

Hey, you guys haven't heard from me in a while, so I s'pose I may as well jump in here....
Looks like I'm late to the thread, but as I've made hundreds of batches of B&G, I'll toss
my 2 cents in anyways.

I'll start by noting that Velvet's B&G as posted above looks pretty good, and pretty traditional.
Good job, VC!

Secondly I must mention that there are many ways to make this, and many end results and styles.
So I must say that my ideal B&G is flaky butter biscuits with semi peppery sausage gravy.
I've perfected it (to mine and my family's liking) over the years, so here is my current method.
(And since you put out the call for Americans, you're gonna get it in US measurements. lol)

For years I was making biscuits from scratch, kind of a hassle, finally settled into using
refrigerated "tube-type" flaky butter biscuits for convenience--after all the most crucial
component of the dish is the gravy. Any biscuit will work, but IMO the flakies are the best.

You will need:
(if using straight sausage, plan on using some black pepper--a little kick is crucial in B&G.)
1 large onion
Milk (approx 2 cups)
Any spices you may want.

When I have all the gravy components on hand, I can make the entire dish in the time it takes
1. Preheat a saute' pan to medium high heat, with a few tablespoons of your favorite fat--oil, marg, etc,
2. While that's heating, dice up a medium onion-- brown, white or sweet, red onions don't work so great in B&G.
4. At this point, go ahead and put your biscuits in the oven, set timer for specified time.
Do not drain it-- the fat is a BIG part of what provides the rich sausage gravy flavor.
6. Sprinkle about a third cup of flour over the mixture. Stir in til its all moistened. (no white showing)

7. Now the process begins..... add some milk, (about a half cup) stirring, until it just starts to become "thin" .
8. Repeat this process until you have gravy amount you want. It usually takes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk.
Of course the more you make the less "rich" the meat mixture will be. But the flavor will still be awesome.

Important note: The TRICK..... to not getting lumpy gravy (flour lumps) is to not add more flour until the
mixture has thickened again. If the milk is still watery and you add flour to that..... dreaded LUMPS will occur!

Note number 2.... when finishing the gravy, add enough milk to make it a little thin, after final cooking of 2 or 3 minutes.
This is because as it cools it gets thicker. TOO thick if you're not careful. However, you can always add more milk to
thin it out, as long as it cooks for a couple minutes to keep the flavors mixed.

The gravy keeps well for several days in the fridge, and it can be frozen too, but I'm not fond of doing t.
Thank you

They are the best looking versions I've seen.

Right up there with poutine from Canada and Toad in the Hole from the Brits. Heart attack on a plate mmmmm.

Maybe lighter sides like roast tomato would be ideal.

I'd say mushrooms but I cook them in butter so they are not light.
That has made me think, the biscuits I made but with a mushroom sauce and a gammon slice would work for me... I will give it a go.

Last edited:
my 2 cents in anyways.

Good job, VC!

refrigerated "tube-type" flaky butter biscuits for convenience
--after all the most crucial

You will need:
1 large onion
Milk (approx 2 cups)
Any spices you may want.

I used to buy the biscuits as well, but started noticing an off taste, sort of chemical like. That is why I started making scratch biscuits again.

Agreed, some are better than others..
Ive had decent luck with the more name brands, Pilsbury, etc.
Biscuits are easy to make, its the flaky ones that are
more difficult and finicky.

I gotta a biscuit story. So my entire life i have never tasted my momma biscuits, my older brothers rave about her biscuits. So one day i asked her why she had never made us biscuits cause i keep hearing she makes good ones. So she said very early in her marriage to my dad(second marriage btw, my bros are from the first marriage) she made him biscuits and he hated them so much he threw them out the door so from then on she never made another biscuit. She said that was fine cause she never liked making them anyway. I did pout and ask maybe she could make me biscuits cause i was sure i would love them but i never could talk her into making biscuits so my biscuits are made with help from pillsbury and come in a refrigerated tube.

It’s taken a little convincing of my tribe that this is worth trying. I‘ve said its like a creamy chicken pie filling but made with sausage and the biscuit is like a cobbler, it’s almost a type of upside down pie.
I think so long as I‘m restrained with the richness of the sausage gravy added they’ll like it.
Might do some slow oven dried plum tomatoes to cut through the fat.

It’s taken a little convincing of my tribe that this is worth trying. I‘ve said its like a creamy chicken pie filling but made with sausage and the biscuit is like a cobbler, it’s almost a type of upside down pie.
I think so long as I‘m restrained with the richness of the sausage gravy added they’ll like it.

As long as the tomatoes are on the side. Putting them in the sausage gravy would probably get you lynched in the South. At the very least, you'd get lots of side eye looks and probably some questions of "you a damn Yank or a for-e-nur?" :D

Seriously though, we sometimes serve some fruit along side.

As long as the tomatoes are on the side. Putting them in the sausage gravy would probably get you lynched in the South. At the very least, you'd get lots of side eye looks and probably some questions of "you a damn Yank or a for-e-nur?" :D

Seriously though, we sometimes serve some fruit along side.
Of course, I’m not spending 2 1/2hrs slowly dehydrating tomatoes in an oven to throw them in a sauce.. sacrilege 😆

I like runny eggs over the top of my biscuits and gravy.
20230207_134315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom