Can dough be frozen?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
6:20 PM
I know that it used to be sold that way in the supermarkets for people who don't make their own dough, but I just wondered if it can be frozen at home & used at a later time. :wink:

I have frozen bread dough after the first proof. Most bread recipes yield 2 loaves. After the first proof I punched down the dough and devided it. Half was set out for the second proof. The other half was wrapped in plastic wrap - 2 or 3 wraps then freezer paper. to use defrost in the fridge then put in a bread pan for the second proof
NOTE: The bottom freezer on the fridge is auto defrost. Froze it in the manual defrost freezer in G's shop. It was in the freezer 2 weeks max. Worked great.

I have frozen bread dough after the first proof. Most bread recipes yield 2 loaves. After the first proof I punched down the dough and devided it. Half was set out for the second proof. The other half was wrapped in plastic wrap - 2 or 3 wraps then freezer paper. to use defrost in the fridge then put in a bread pan for the second proof
NOTE: The bottom freezer on the fridge is auto defrost. Froze it in the manual defrost freezer in G's shop. It was in the freezer 2 weeks max. Worked great.

I plan to freeze some dough from a recipe that calls for Parkerhouse rolls. Don't want to use it all because it would too much to eat! The next time, I won't have to make any dough until the 2nd one is used up. :wink:

Useful to know - it would be good to freeze pizza bases perhaps.

It also bears mentioning that the longer you freeze it, the less it tends to rise, at least in my experience. I don't think I would keep it any longer than the 2 weeks @ElizabethB mentions.

I've frozen pasta and pastry dough for a good while without any adverse effects. Even cookie dough, at least the gingersnap dough that I've made for Craig's sauerbraten and his occasional gingersnap cookie craving. Hmm, I bet his favorite cookie dough would freeze well also. That way maybe we wouldn't pig out on them if I froze half of the dough - white chocolate macadamia nut cookies with rum...

I'd freeze just the dough. We used to freeze the bases, but unless you have ample freezer space, the thin crusts tend to break as they get brittle upon freezing. Might work with thick crusts though.

That is what I plan to do. Freeze the dough. I also, at times, freeze the sauce. But sauce for pizza is made a little at a time. I freeze marinara sauce when I make a big pot of it. :wink:

Most food can be frozen. Proper packaging is important. Life expectancy also depends on the type of freezer. Food stored in a self defrosting freezer will not keep as long as food stored in a manual defrost freezer .

Most food can be frozen. Proper packaging is important. Life expectancy also depends on the type of freezer. Food stored in a self defrosting freezer will not keep as long as food stored in a manual defrost freezer .

Probably because of the circulating air coming from the evaporator fan. Air is moved constantly by the fan whenever the compressor cycles on. Anything not package tightly starts drying out, setting up the food for freezer burn & dryness. This is always the case with frozen food storage.

Which is why I have a food vacuum sealer to help prevent that from happening!! :wink:

Useful to know - it would be good to freeze pizza bases perhaps.
Yep its very convenient to make a big batch of pizza dough, split it off into portions, wrap well in clingfilm and then freeze the extra ones (leave them in balls, don't roll them out). The day you want to use them take them out to defrost and come up to room temperature, roll out and make your pizza as normal.
The dough keeps for months in the freezer and I actually think the pizza bases are just as good (maybe even better) when made with dough that has been frozen. The crust bubbles up fine and the base goes nice and crispy :okay:

Back
Top Bottom