Can someone explain peeling eggs?

Are you meaning timed from immersion in simmering water - or do you put them in cold water?

They are immersed in tepid tap water (cos that's all we got) and then brought to the boil. If my wife cooks them it will then be 3 minutes for dipping eggs. The first one will be slightly "underdone" (I don't mind) and the second one perfect.

@Yorky's duck eggs are larger than hen's eggs (I think) but he is saying 6 minutes will make them hard-boiled.

Virtually hard boiled yes. My wife boiled some chicken eggs last week for 4 minutes and then peeled them (very carefully). They were akin to poached eggs. I should have taken pictures.

duck eggs size s.jpg

They are immersed in tepid tap water (cos that's all we got) and then brought to the boil. If my wife cooks them it will then be 3 minutes for dipping eggs. The first one will be slightly "underdone" (I don't mind) and the second one perfect.
Do you mean 3 mins in total or 3 mins from when water boils?

I find that for a large egg then 5 and a half mins immersed in simmering water is about right for soft boiled. And I like my eggs runny! I will cook one later and photograph it so you can see.

Do you mean 3 mins in total or 3 mins from when water boils?

From when the water boils. Although the white solidifies at a lower temperature than the yolk which is why we have such wonderful soft boiled eggs in which to dip our soldiers!

:hungry::hungry:

From when the water boils. Although the white solidifies at a lower temperature than the yolk which is why we have such wonderful soft boiled eggs in which to dip our soldiers!

I am not a scientist but if the eggs are started in water at room temperature then at about 65 degC the white will start to solidify whereas the yolk will not start to cook until about 80 degC (?).

My wife boiled some chicken eggs last week for 4 minutes and then peeled them (very carefully). They were akin to poached eggs. I should have taken pictures.

Sorry, my memory is buggered. That was not correct. She started the eggs in ambient temperature water; brought to the boil and boiled for one minute; removed from the heat and left to stand for 3 minutes; then removed the eggs and peeled them without cooling them.

She started the eggs in ambient temperature water; brought to the boil and boiled for one minute; removed from the heat and left to stand for 3 minutes; then removed the eggs and peeled them without cooling them.

Ok - this method might work with my eggs. I will try and report back.

To put it simply:

If the egg is placed straight into a pan of boiling water at Twater, it will be ready when the temperature at the boundary of the yolk has risen to Tyolk~63°C.
softboiled eggs.jpg

where ρ is density, c the specific heat capacity, and K thermal conductivity of 'egg'. According to this formula, a medium egg (M~57 g) straight from the fridge (Tegg=4°C) takes four and a half minutes to cook, but the same egg would take three and a half minutes if it had been stored at room temperature (Tegg=21°C). If all the eggs are stored in the fridge, then a small (size 6, 47 g) egg will require four minutes to cook, and a large egg (size 2, 67 g) will take five minutes.

Last edited:
Notwithstanding the above, my theory (based upon nothing more than my own experience), is that if you start the process with room temperature eggs in tepid water then as you bring the water to a boil, the white will start to solidify at a temperature in the order of 63 degC and will continue to cook during the rise to 100 degC, whereas the yolk will only start to cook around 85 degC. When I cease adding heat, the temperature will reduce slowly and the yolk will stop cooking as the heat reduces but the white will still cook for a further period.

To put it simply:

If the egg is placed straight into a pan of boiling water at Twater, it will be ready when the temperature at the boundary of the yolk has risen to Tyolk~63°C.
where ρ is density, c the specific heat capacity, and K thermal conductivity of 'egg'. According to this formula, a medium egg (M~57 g) straight from the fridge (Tegg=4°C) takes four and a half minutes to cook, but the same egg would take three and a half minutes if it had been stored at room temperature (Tegg=21°C). If all the eggs are stored in the fridge, then a small (size 6, 47 g) egg will require four minutes to cook, and a large egg (size 2, 67 g) will take five minutes.

:eek:

OK, today's eggsperiment.

Medium sized chicken eggs straight from the fridge placed in tepid water from the tap. Brought to the boil (took about 3.5 minutes) then left to boil for exactly 1 minute. Then the heat removed the pan covered and left undisturbed for exactly 3 minutes. Change the hot water for tepid water then my wife peeled them whilst I buttered the toast. She said that they were not easy to peel.

And then bled.

Back
Top Bottom