Can someone explain peeling eggs?

I didn't attempt to peel them as my ham fistedness would be somewhat disasterous (my spelling) to remove the shell from what are very delicate eggs.

[The chicken eggs were purchased from a supermarket some 8 days ago and have been kept in the fridge since then]

I didn't attempt to peel them as my ham fistedness would be somewhat disasterous (my spelling) to remove the shell from what are very delicate eggs.

[The chicken eggs were purchased from a supermarket some 8 days ago and have been kept in the fridge since then]

Its all most confusing. Its supposed to be very fresh eggs which are the most difficult to peel.

This large egg was placed in tepid water, brought to the boil (with lid on) and then left to stand four 4 minutes. The white was slightly underdone (but only very slightly). The texture of the white was better. But this method takes longer overall than the 5 and a half minute in boiling water method.

20170630_134307.jpg

This large egg was placed in tepid water, brought to the boil (with lid on) and then left to stand four 4 minutes. The white was slightly underdone (but only very slightly). The texture of the white was better. But this method takes longer overall than the 5 and a half minute in boiling water method.

You could also consider the saving in fuel, albeit minimal.

However, if 200 million people worldwide did it, it would be substantial.

Fresh a week ago, boiled on Friday and been in the fridge with shell since. I almost peeled it cleanly but just a slight mishap.

And that yolk is as near to the centre as I've had for a while.

Peeled duck egg 1 s.jpg

Peeled duck egg 2 s.jpg

Fresh a week ago, boiled on Friday and been in the fridge with shell since. I almost peeled it cleanly but just a slight mishap.

And that yolk is as near to the centre as I've had for a while.

View attachment 9634

View attachment 9635

Now here is another challenge - how to cut the egg in half to leave a smooth flat finish to the yolk? Is it possible? A quick google image search for for 'hard boiled eggs' suggests it may be quite difficult judging by the images displayed...

Now here is another challenge - how to cut the egg in half to leave a smooth flat finish to the yolk?

It's beyond me. I always use a wet very thin knife but with minimal success. My mum's salad egg slicer was pretty good as far as I remember. Similar to this.

New-Sliver-Stainless-Steel-font-b-Egg-b-font-Cheese-font-b-Salad-b-font-Cutter.jpg

It's beyond me. I always use a wet very thin knife but with minimal success. My mum's salad egg slicer was pretty good as far as I remember. Similar to this.

New-Sliver-Stainless-Steel-font-b-Egg-b-font-Cheese-font-b-Salad-b-font-Cutter.jpg

Perhaps its the thin wire which does it. I don't have one but they are cheap enough. It wouldn't be much good for cutting eggs in half, though.

This small duck egg was hard boiled about 6 days ago and has been in the fridge in it's shell since then. It peeled perfectly and the yolk was pretty close to the centre!

boiled egg s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom