Canadian Thanksgiving..

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
3:18 AM
Today is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada..We give thanks for the harvest and the blessings of the last year..Traditionally, we eat a Roast Turkey dinner, with dressing(stuffing), cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies, etc..I am baking soft dinner rolls this morning, and, I will also be doing a duck a l'orange..I like to send everybody home with containers of left overs..For dessert, GF is making a pumpkin roll as we speak..

It all sounds splendid. I confess I didn't realise Thanksgiving was earlier in Canada than in the USA. In the UK we don't celebrate it at all - but our Christmas dinner is more or less the same type of meal.

Photos if you have them!

It all sounds splendid. I confess I didn't realise Thanksgiving was earlier in Canada than in the USA. In the UK we don't celebrate it at all - but our Christmas dinner is more or less the same type of meal.

Photos if you have them!
I can's speak for everybody, but some have the same dinner at Christmas also..we have changed things somewhat over the years and have other things like roast beef, lamb, ham, etc..The first settling Canadians have derived their traditions from Britain, and France, for the most part, but over the years, anything goes, really..I like this classic meal at least once a year, but in a few months, come Xmas, I want something else..
I will post some pics..

Happy Thanksgiving! Your menu sounds wonderful. Can't wait for turkey day here, it's one of the biggest eating holidays. I have a pretty good idea of what's on the menu so far.

Simmering the giblets for stock for dressing and gravy..
43462903_167588350836351_8384092619277336576_n.jpg

Dressing before going in the boid..
43467098_459189911253043_1354497552602365952_n.jpg

Dinner rolls out and buttered..this is not a low carb day...
43480508_2143894309209882_2483673643318509568_n.jpg

Photos if you have them!
Yes we do! We call it Harvest Festival. Ok, its not that widespread anymore, and probably non-existant in urban areas, but out in the sticks (at least our parts) schools, churches and villages still celebrate the harvest, albeit in a more low key fashion than our cousins accross the Atlantic. Yesterday we held a harvest lunch in our village hall, followed by a church service for those who could still stagger up the hill and belt out "We plough the fields and scatter", very badly.

This is my second day..we had my parter's family yesterday..I hit the ale pretty hard..was pretty foggy this morning..trying to hold off until dinner time tonight..

I've always wanted to do a tofukey for a holiday meal but since i would likely be the only one brave enough to try it i can't justify the expense.

I've always wanted to do a tofukey for a holiday meal but since i would likely be the only one brave enough to try it i can't justify the expense.

I bought a similarly a named thing from Ocado last year. It wasn't stupidly expensive but it wasn't good either. But perhaps the Tofurkey you mean is different?

Last edited:
I bought a similarly a named thing from Ocado last year. It wasn't stupidly expensive but it wasn't good either. But perhaps the Tofurkey you mean is different?

I mistype i dropped the r, its a tofurkey....its made by a company in Oregon. The same company make tofu lunch slices that are pretty tasty. I hope the tofurkey tastes good. I think last Christmas is was around $14 for the tofurkey. Seems price for just me to eat cause as i said i doubt anyone else would even try it. Hard to be a veggie in a family of carnivores.

Turducken? Tofu? For Canadian Thanksgiving?

Bunch o' hosers.

Back
Top Bottom