Recipe Candied Almonds

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:17 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Unquestionably the best effort-to-result ratio of anything I make regularly. I suggest buying almonds in bulk, since you'll likely find that you go through a lot of them. :) The biggest skill involved here is knowing when to take them from the pan. I like to cook them until there's virtually no moisture left...when I say syrup-like, I prefer a thick syrup, which dries to yield the crunchy coating you see below. But, you may prefer a thinner coating. Either way is delicious.

Ingredients

1⁄2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 cups almonds, whole

Directions
  1. Combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon in a cold saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Add the almonds and stir thoroughly to coat. Lower to medium heat.
  3. Cook and stir the mixture frequently until the liquid evaporates and leaves a syrup-like coating on the almonds. Don't leave pan unattended to avoid burning.
  4. Pour the almonds onto a Silpat or a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Separate almonds. Allow to cool before serving.

IMG_0620.JPG

I seem to be missing something in my posts. How do I get that fancy green Recipe tag attached to my recipes?
I've been adding them for you. Its easy - when you start a new thread you will see there is an option in the title bar - on the left. It reads (No prefix), but if you click on it it will give the option to prefix your thread as either a Review or a Recipe. Just click on Recipe.

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 22.36.39.png

Last edited:
Unquestionably the best effort-to-result ratio of anything I make regularly. I suggest buying almonds in bulk, since you'll likely find that you go through a lot of them. :) The biggest skill involved here is knowing when to take them from the pan. I like to cook them until there's virtually no moisture left...when I say syrup-like, I prefer a thick syrup, which dries to yield the crunchy coating you see below. But, you may prefer a thinner coating. Either way is delicious.

Ingredients

1⁄2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
2 cups almonds, whole

Directions
  1. Combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon in a cold saucepan and bring to a boil.
  3. Cook and stir the mixture frequently until the liquid evaporates and leaves a syrup-like coating on the almonds. Don't leave pan unattended to avoid burning.
  4. Pour the almonds onto a Silpat or a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Separate almonds. Allow to cool before serving.

View attachment 6715

So you serve these as a snack? I can imagine other ways of using them...(added to savoury dishes perhaps) - a great simple recipe!

Ingredients

1⁄2 cup water
1 cup white sugar
2 cups almonds, whole

Directions

View attachment 6715

Very interesting and easy recipe :okay:...I would try to do this candied almonds...I'm going to use brown sugar instead of white sugar...

So you serve these as a snack? I can imagine other ways of using them...(added to savoury dishes perhaps) - a great simple recipe!
Yes...they're a snack. and I have a hard time keeping up with the demand from my family. :) But, I can see where these little flavor grenades can be used to accent other dishes. :)

@The Late Night Gourmet, I've prepared your 'candied almonds' for my nephew for a little snack...WoW! I have used brown sugar instead of white sugar, really succulent! Great idea :thumbsup: thank you
View attachment 6879
These are gorgeous! And, I love the spoon outline...very creative!

I, too, like to use brown sugar instead of white sugar whenever possible. The only reason I didn't here is because I thought the moisture of the brown sugar would affect the carmelization. But, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I'll have to give this a go next time. :)

I, too, like to use brown sugar instead of white sugar whenever possible. The only reason I didn't here is because I thought the moisture of the brown sugar would affect the carmelization. But, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I'll have to give this a go next time. :)
These look great. I love smoked nuts - lightly roasted the tossed in a pan of molten butter, coated in a mix of sugar and salt before hit smoking. All time favourite is Brazil nuts, same method but using maple syrup instead of butter. The hit is in the balance of sweetness, sugar and smoke

These look great. I love smoked nuts - lightly roasted the tossed in a pan of molten butter, coated in a mix of sugar and salt before hit smoking. All time favourite is Brazil nuts, same method but using maple syrup instead of butter. The hit is in the balance of sweetness, sugar and smoke

Brazil nuts! I have them in my cupboard...I simply love them..that's could be another idea!

I was inspired mostly by the presence of my nephew, to make her smile..and the combo candied almonds + cinnamon spoon was great! I'm going to do your recipe again @The Late Night Gourmet..thanks again!

Last edited:
IMG_1513.JPG

I found an almond tree this morning. The leaves emit a sticky residue leaving a dark tacky area on the tarmac beneath. I have no idea why.

Back
Top Bottom