Recipe Caramel mousse help

Mfeltz5103

Local time
10:36 AM
Ok, so I have the following caramel mousse recipe: 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Next it goes in a bowl & refrigerates for 3 hours. Lastly, add unflavored gelatin (softened for 5 minutes on 3 Tbsp cold water),1/4 cup creme fresh, & beaten until soft peaks form. My issue is I need to make it sugar free, & after some research, it seems I can use granulated sucralose (Splenda) & butter so it turns the caramel color. My question is how much butter should I use, & how I should adjust the rest of the recipe?

Ok, so I have the following caramel mousse recipe: 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Next it goes in a bowl & refrigerates for 3 hours. Lastly, add unflavored gelatin (softened for 5 minutes on 3 Tbsp cold water),1/4 cup creme fresh, & beaten until soft peaks form. My issue is I need to make it sugar free, & after some research, it seems I can use granulated sucralose (Splenda) & butter so it turns the caramel color. My question is how much butter should I use, & how I should adjust the rest of the recipe?

I am not quite understanding how the caramel is achieved in the original recipe. Caramel is usually made by heating sugar with water but you don't mention this.

I'd substitute by trial and error try starting with 2 oz of butter melted in a frying pan and add half the splenda to see what happens perhaps.

I am not quite understanding how the caramel is achieved in the original recipe. Caramel is usually made by heating sugar with water but you don't mention this.

I'd substitute by trial and error try starting with 2 oz of butter melted in a frying pan and add half the splenda to see what happens perhaps.

CARAMEL INSTRUCTIONS
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with the water and lemon juice and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Using a wet pastry brush, wipe down the side of the saucepan. Simmer the syrup undisturbed until it begins to brown around the edges, 4 to 5 minutes. Swirl the pan, then simmer until the caramel turns a medium-dark amber, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Carefully add 1/2 cup of the cream in a steady stream. Stir with a long-handled wooden spoon to combine, then add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cream. Stir in the vanilla. Transfer the caramel to a bowl and refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours or overnight.

I have made this recipe so many times I can probably do it blindfolded, but I’m substituting granulated sweetener for sugar it won’t brown, which is why the butter is added. My question is should I decrease the amount of heavy cream by the amount of butter I add? I’m concerned it won’t beat up correctly.

OK - thanks. I'd be guessing here but unless you are using lots of butter I don't think you need to significantly reduce the amount of cream.

Back
Top Bottom