Recipe Caramelised Carrot Chutney

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:38 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Firstly, caramelising onions takes time: so do caramelised carrots. It can't be done in 10 minutes, or 15, or even 20 minutes. You need time. So this recipe takes time. Carrots, like onions take time, but if you really want some nice Caramelised Carrot Chutney you will take the time out that is needed. Put a couple of hours aside along with some sterilised jam jars and lids!

Ingredients
  • 750g carrots, grated
  • 2 onions, finely sliced
  • 2tbsp (of a plain tasting) oil (optional)
  • 100g brown sugar (to taste. A dark sugar will give a stronger flavour - what you want is up to you!)
  • 250ml white wine vinegar
Method
  1. Heat the olive in a large saucepan/preserving pan, then add the onions and carrots and stir well to glaze.
  2. Fry the onions and carrots off until starting to brown, then drop the heat and cover the pan. You want a really low heat to sweat out the carrots and onions until they look, well mushy really. This will take time.... wait it out.
  3. Add the white wine vinegar and the sugar and bring to the boil. If like me you have asthma, having the extractor fan on at this point is a rather good idea. Boiling vinegar is not great my asthma!
  4. Simmer the solution with the lid off, until most of the vinegar has boiled off and the mixture is drying out. When the chutney is ready, there should not be any vinegar in the bottom of the pan when you draw a spoon through it.
  5. Spoon in to the sterilised jam jars and put the lid on whilst still hot. A seal should be created and as the contents cool you will hear the lids go pop if they have that security seal on them!

Is this chutney really sweet? I'm thinking it might be because onions sweeten when caramelised and the carrots are sweet, plus the sugar. I'd be tempted to add chilli. But then I'm tempted to add chilli to almost everything! :pepper::D

Hi I just made this how long to I have to leave it before it can been eaten it looks lovel thanks for recipe

Hi I just made this how long to I have to leave it before it can been eaten it looks lovel thanks for recipe
It's entirely up to you but given that there are no herbs or spices to aid the flavour of the chutney that would need time to mature ,you can eat it as soon as you want to . That said, I generally give it a week in the fridge first .

1. Spoon in to the sterilised jam jars and put the lid on whilst still hot. A seal should be created and as the contents cool you will hear the lids go pop if they have that security seal on them!
I love that sound, I'm normally sitting on the couch after I've made jam or relish, then wait for the pops,lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom