Carpaccio, Tartare and Tataki

CraigC

Guru
Local time
3:17 PM
I put this here because the first Carpaccio and Tartar we ever tried were beef. Now we have tried tuna. Have you tried any of these basically raw preparations. I was turned off initially to raw beef by my oldest brother and father's habit of eating raw hamburger (from the grocery) sandwiches. Just white sandwich bread, ground/minced beef, a thick slice of onion, S&P. We found one of the best local Italian restaurants from a simple search for Carpaccio. Too bad they closed.

I've tried laarb nuea once (raw minced beef salad). Not keen and it was either that or the previous evening's pork chop that led to me contracting gastroenteritis.

I had a steak tartare (from fillet) at Michael Symon's Roast. It's served with a (poached) quail egg on top:

thumb_600.jpg

It was good - I ate the entire thing (my wife was too afraid to try it) - but I still have to say it's not as good as having the beef cooked! Beef is just one of those things that improves with a char on the outside to promote the Maillard reaction.

@CraigC: is your family of German ancestry by chance? My wife told me that she knew a family when she was younger that was first generation, and they'd eat hamburger raw, too. And, no, she never tried it then, either.

I had a steak tartare (from fillet) at Michael Symon's Roast. It's served with a (poached) quail egg on top:

thumb_600.jpg

It was good - I ate the entire thing (my wife was too afraid to try it) - but I still have to say it's not as good as having the beef cooked! Beef is just one of those things that improves with a char on the outside to promote the Maillard reaction.

@CraigC: is your family of German ancestry by chance? My wife told me that she knew a family when she was younger that was first generation, and they'd eat hamburger raw, too. And, no, she never tried it then, either.

You didn't catch that in the "German Food" thread?:D I never tried it either.

I absolutely love steak tatare - I always try to have it at least once every time I go to France. Its fun to see how different places prepare it - its usually served with salad and frites and a raw egg yolk on top, but sometimes its finely minced and its hard to identify the seasonings, whereas other times its quite coarsely chopped and the seasonings are still in fairly big chunks.

Its not a particularly "posh" dish in France....you can find it on the menu in most bistrots/brasseries, not just in higher end restaurants. In fact one of the best tartares I've had was in the brasserie Bleriot at the Auchan supermarket in Calais :okay: I like it fairly finely chopped with just enough onion and cornichon to taste, but not overpowering (as the meat is a delicate flavour). I was really interested to see that in Poland you can buy it ready-made in vacuum packs of steak tartare in the supermarket chiller cabinet - great for a quick and easy meal.

That is surprising. I can't imagine that catching on here...
Shame really...because I'd definitely buy it :happy: I'm pretty sure this is the one we had - there's enough in a packet for two when served with a salad and bread etc. I don't usually buy ready-made foods, but for specialities or when on holiday I make an exception. Its obviously not as good as a made-from-scratch version (and it doesn't contain the onions and cornichons) but its well seasoned and tasty.

I like carpaccio. Love in fact.

My first try was actually kangaroo meat. The 5 star hotel I was working in back in the 1990’s had a native food festival. The carpaccio was fanned out and drizzled with a little olive oil doctored with eucalyptus oil. Very subtle. Then sprinkled with roasted & roughly pounded wattle seed. Can’t remember what else was on the plate.

Tuna tartare is amazing.

My Dad was a big fan of raw or underdone meat and would have joined CraigC’s family in a heartbeat.

Definitely not. I don't like my food almost running round a farm yard or, even if I could eat it, swimming. Mind you, I did have a Vietnamese friend who used to eat raw chicken in spite of all the health concerns. There are plenty of recipes out there for raw chicken too (mainly Japanese, I might add).

Raw fish YUMM! I actually prefer Sashimi rather than Sushi - too much rice. I have never had Tartar but would not hesitate to try it. Carpaccio - divine! The best I have had was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The restaurant specialized in game - deer, elk, moose, bison, big horn sheep, mountain goat - you get the drift.. I had Bison Carpaccio. Melt in your mouth!

Last summer SS and DIL went deep sea fishing - 60 miles out in the Gulf. On their way home they brought us some Yellow Tail tuna caught the day before. I grabbed my knife and stood at the counter with G eating paper thin slices of raw tuna. :woot:

Love raw fish!
I'd be a bit squeamish about unfrozen (FoodSafe specs) fish though..seen too many live worms in fresh fish/crayfish :yuck:
I luv "kitfo" raw beef (probably just as bad as eating wormy fish).. dog & myself are the only ones that ate it though, so I make it rarely (pardon the pun)
Ethiopian dish, BTW

Back
Top Bottom