Recipe Carrot salad

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
12:20 AM
20180406_184542.jpg
This is a salad I made to start using up some of the carrot glut in my fridge. It was very nice and fresh-tasting.

2 carrots grated
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sunflower oil.
2 tsp lemon juice

Put grated carrot in a bowl
Add salt and lemon juice
Heat oil
Add mustard seed and cook until they start to pop.
pour oil over carrot and stir
Leave to cool

Last edited:
I'd forgotten all about carrot salad - I haven't made one for ages. I like the addition of mustard seeds.

The carrot salad I learned to make from my mom was quite different. It involves orange jello, crushed pineapple, carrots obviously, and a bit of lemon juice. Sounds a bit weird I know, but very light and refreshing on a hot day.

Last edited:
My mum made one with grated carrot, sultanas, sometimes flakes almonds, and with a dressing made form olive oil, honey and lemon.

Strangely enough that reminds me of school dinners! I don't think they put almonds or honey in (probable a bit of oil and vinegar) but they did serve carrot grated salad with sultanas - this was back in the early 60's!

The carrot salad I learned to make frommt mom was quite different. It involves orange jello, crushed pineapple, carrots obviously, and a bit of lemon juice. Sounds a bit weird I know, but very light and refreshing on a hot day.

It does sound rather unusual. Is orange jello what we call jelly in the UK? Gelatine based.? I can't quite imagine what your mom's salad looked like!

It's Jello, comes in a box, you add water (or mix of water and juice) dissolve and refrigerate. I can't believe Jello hasn't made it over there, at least for kids. It comes in a bunch of flavors. There's also a cake you might like that uses lemon jello. It's also a "poke" cake like the tres leches. The tang of the lemon definitely cuts the sweetness and it's a light summery cake.

You partially gell the Jello, then mix in the drained pineapple, grated carrots and a couple of squeezes of lemon juice, place in a mold if you want to be fancy, then refrigerate until firm.
24675_00043000200049.jpg

Last edited:
It's Jello, comes in a box, you add water (or mix of water and juice) dissolve and refrigerate. I can't believe Jello hasn't made it over there, at least for kids. It comes in a bunch of flavors. There's also a cake you might like that uses lemon jello. It's also a "poke" cake like the tres leches. The tang of the lemon definitely cuts the sweetness and it's a light summery cake.

You partially gell the Jello, then mix in the drained pineapple, grated carrots and a couple of squeezes of lemon juice, place in a mold if you want to be fancy, then refrigerate until firm.View attachment 15264

Yes - it was popular when I was a kid - we call it jelly and it was always served at kids' parties. Its not so popular these days. Nowadays it also comes ready made in little tubs - otherwise its in a packet in cubes:

IDShot_540x540-22.jpg IDShot_540x540-23.jpg

You partially gell the Jello, then mix in the drained pineapple, grated carrots and a couple of squeezes of lemon juice, place in a mold if you want to be fancy, then refrigerate until firm.View attachment 15264

I googled and there quite a few recipes for it - It does look rather good. Would you eat it as a dessert?

sunshine-salad-horiz-a-1280.jpg

I googled and there quite a few recipes for it - It does look rather good. Would you eat it as a dessert?

No, it was eaten as part of a meal. I'd eat it as a snack when I was a kid, as did 1 of my granddaughters. Jello salads were really popular in the 70s if I remember correctly in the part of the U.S. I am from. My mom made a cherry jello based salad with a homemade cranberry relish (cranberries, sugar and oranges), walnuts, celery, and crushed pineapple that was always requested for Thanksgiving. My aunt even called (what's left of my family lives over 1200 miles away so I don't get there often) to ask me if I had the recipe or remembered enough of it to find on the internet after my mom passed away because everybody missed it. I was able to find it for her.

No, it was eaten as part of a meal. I'd eat it as a snack when I was a kid, as did 1 of my granddaughters. Jello salads were really popular in the 70s if I remember correctly in the part of the U.S. I am from. My mom made a cherry jello based salad with a homemade cranberry relish (cranberries, sugar and oranges), walnuts, celery, and crushed pineapple that was always requested for Thanksgiving. My aunt even called (what's left of my family lives over 1200 miles away so I don't get there often) to ask me if I had the recipe or remembered enough of it to find on the internet after my mom passed away because everybody missed it. I was able to find it for her.

I don't think that fruit jelly/jello savoury thing you are describing has ever caught on here. I quite like the idea, though! Gelatine savouries/salads were very popular in Victorian times and earlier in the UK but they were vegetables set in gelatine with no sugar. They have seriously gone out of fashion. I think they should be revived. Its possible your family recipes were based on that tradition.

I have some old cook books with gelatine savoury recipes - I'll have a look tomorrow and post something.

Back
Top Bottom