cast iron cookware

cast iron skillet.png
Small cast iron skillet.jpg
cast-iron-lodge-dutch-ovens-braisers-l8do3-64_1000.jpg

Here are my 3 pieces of cast iron cookware!! :wink:

I'd like to clarify one thing I mentioned about how I season my pans. After letting them get hot on the stove I wipe them down with safflower oil and then place them *upside down* on foil in the oven. Bake at 400 for an hour or more. Let your pan cool completely in the oven. If you don't turn them upside down the oil can pool in the bottom of the pan which can make a sticky mess. Ask me how I know :) Cast iron is pretty forgiving though. If you mess up you can always do it again. I don't need to do this often but I will if I have a new pan or one of my older ones has sat around for a while unused.

Last edited:
I have one that needs seasoning from time to time ,that's after anyone uses washing up liquid on it . It actually doesn't need washing , just warming up and wiping out. Nothing really sticks to it. it's a scanpan deep saute pan which is basically a frying pan and casserole bowl (suitable for the oven ) and saucepan all in one. It's the most used item in the kitchen .in fact we've just invested in a new one, though hubby bought a stainless steel one this time .

Back to the cast iron one though . If it had been washed, the instructions were to heat it up on the stove into it was hot, add oil and brush around including the sides. Wait until it smokes and remove from heat, them wipe off all the oil (kitchen paper) carefully because it's still very hot and allow it to cool with the lid on. That's all we've done since we bought it 6 or 7 years ago. It's like new .

I do also have 2 flat frying pans, both actually found griddles with handles. Both goodness knows how old and they are treated pretty much the same. (old as in new when my grandmother married back in the '40's.) they are fantastic and don't stick if you know how to use them correctly. There's also a rectangular griddle which is a lump of iron and a handle (small handle like a cupboard door handle but made of cast iron). It dates back to my great grandmother who was born in 1903. I have less success with it but I use it much less often and it really needs scrubbing fallen with a metal cleaner and a lot of elbow grease and seasoning properly before it can be used again. I hang on to it for sentimental reasons nothing more . I haven't used it in a long time and the last time I can remember my Grannie being able to cook would be 10-12 years ago.

I enjoy my cast iron cookware. I only have three skillets, and one is an interesting one I picked up at a flea market - about 10 inches diameter, and divided up into segments like pie cuttings. I have yet to use this one -- it will come in handy for quiches if I want to make different ingredients in several "pie" slots.

At any rate, I have an induction range/cooktop - since cast iron may scratch glass, the recommendation I follow is to put parchment paper down between a cast iron skillet and the glass surface. The magnetic features of induction will work through this. I would assume that a regular glass top range would be similar.

one I picked up at a flea market - about 10 inches diameter, and divided up into segments like pie cuttings. I have yet to use this one -- it will come in handy for quiches if I want to make different ingredients in several "pie" slots.

That sounds interesting.

At any rate, I have an induction range/cooktop - since cast iron may scratch glass, the recommendation I follow is to put parchment paper down between a cast iron skillet and the glass surface. The magnetic features of induction will work through this.
That's an interesting point - thanks! I'm thinking of replacing my current pans with one that'll work on induction (don't have it yet but I want it!) and a cast iron skillet for searing steaks etc. would be perfect, but I was worried about the weight/scratching the glass top. Glad to hear that there's a way around it!

My wife says that Le Creuset pans last a long time because they're so damn heavy that no one bothers to use them

My wife says that Le Creuset pans last a long time because they're so damn heavy that no one bothers to use them
That was certainly true of my mum's Le Creuset cast iron set: they looked lovely hanging in their rack in the kitchen but you needed to be a weightlifter to actually use them!

Back
Top Bottom