Cast Iron

I got rid of all my cast iron cookware. Way too heavy, too much maintenance and the handles inevitably seem to break after a while.
With the exception of two six inch dkillets and my two dutch ovens.
You might be able to tell the difference in taste when frying things like breads and so forth, but I think the real advantage is not so much taste, as cast iron's ability to conduct heat more efficiently. I do think it works better for braised dishes such as Osso Buco. ( and I'm speaking of uncoated dutch ovens here.)
For that purpose anyway I prefer it to a pan in the oven, crock pots or a stock pot on the stove.
That said my preferred cookware is uncoated carbon steel.
It's indestructible. I'd like a set, but all I have is a 25 year old wok-pan thats still going strong.

Last edited:
I got rid of all my cast iron cookware. Way too heavy, too much maintenance and the handles inevitably seem to break after a while.
With the exception of two six inch dkillets and my two dutch ovens.
You might be able to tell the difference in taste when frying things like breads and so forth, but I think the real advantage is not so much taste, as cast iron's ability to conduct heat more efficiently. I do think it works better for braised dishes such as Osso Buco. ( and I'm speaking of uncoated dutch ovens here.)
For that purpose anyway I prefer it to a pan in the oven, crock pots or a stock pot on the stove.
That said my preferred cookware is uncoated carbon steel.
It's indestructible. I'd like a set, but all I have is a 25 year old wok-pan thats still going strong.

I have looked up carbon steel and I see it has some very good recommendations from chefs. I am beginning to understand why cast iron/carbon steel is regarded so highly thanks to your post. I can see its to do with heat conductivity distribution more than anything. :okay:

Also, your mention of Osso Buco has given me another suggestion for future Cookalongs. :D

Only one real use as far as we are concerned - sealing steaks [as I have explained before I like my steaks juicy and well done]. Nothing else will take the heat involved properly. However it does require a gas flame to do so [any form of electric just doesn't cut it.

Only one real use as far as we are concerned - sealing steaks [as I have explained before I like my steaks juicy and well done]. Nothing else will take the heat involved properly. However it does require a gas flame to do so [any form of electric just doesn't cut it.
Although I prefer steak rare, I agree that a cast iron pan is best. I always oil the steak, not the pan, which can then get really hot over gas before dropping the meat in. Same for pork or lamb chops.

Back
Top Bottom