Celebrity Chefs

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
7:30 AM
I watch lots of cooking shows. I use many recipes from Celebrity Chefs. When we travel I look for Celebrity Chef restaurants. In addition to celebrity chef restaurants I look for Guy's Diners, Drive Inns and Dives. Also Andrew Zimmerman's Bizarre Foods America locations. Amazing food that you will never find on a tourist itinerary.

I am familiar with 3 British Celebrity Chefs - Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver and Robert Irvine. Gordon Ramsay is a Master Chef. I love his recipes. I will not watch "Hell's Kitchen". Unnecessary profanity. I do enjoy his "Master Chef" serious. Jamie Oliver is a doll. I research his You Tube videos for recipes. Robert Irvine - I really enjoyed his "Restaurant Impossible" series. IDK if it is still showing. I may have lost it when G cut back on cable channels.

I was unfamiliar with Nigella Lawson prior to joining this forum. I have checked out her You Tube videos and really like her style. I like that she uses ready make products to create original recipes. :thankyou: for introducing me to Nigella.

So who are your favorite Celebrity Chefs and why.

Michael Symon is probably my favorite celebrity chef, both for the food he serves (I've eaten many times at both Roast and B-Spot, his burger place) and for his personality. His food is what I would call "elevated mid-American food", meaning a lot of beef and vegetables. He's the only one I see who competes (and usually wins) on Iron Chef with a smile on his face. If you see him for 5 minutes, you'll know the smile isn't from arrogance, but because he's genuinely having fun cooking. He has also posted several of his recipes, and I've had fun recreating some of them (his brussels sprouts are fantastic).

Having said that, I do love just about everything Emeril Lagasse makes, and I've thoroughly enjoyed eating at his restaurants in both New Orleans and Las Vegas.

My favorite T.V. Chef, Author & Culinary Professor on Spanish T.V. is Basque Chef Karlos Arguiñano .. He is on daily and I am a grand fan of his humor as well as his take on healthy Regional Spanish eating with evolutionary art of plating ..

I have never seen any of Sydney´s Chefs on T.V. in Spain .. However, I have been to Sydney and:
The only Three Michelin Star Chef Restaurants in Sydney I had dined at were:
Chef Martin Benn of Sepia, Chef Peter Gillmore of Quayside and Japanese Chef Tetsuya of Restaurant Tetsuya who I had actually met face to face at one of our yearly Gastronomic Conventions, we attend prior to our trip to Sydney, in 2010.

On occasion I watch some of the B.B.C. programming and my fave of their series was Carlo and Gennaro in Italy. Simply sensational ..

Last edited:
Jamie Oliver has a great talent of talking down to people. Gordon Ramsey plays up to his tv personality. How many others would vault a bar, go into the kitchen and help out, when they realise it's slow, without being asked or kicking up a fuss.

Nigella appears fond of the bottle.

My favourites are Nigella, Gordon Ramsay, James Martin, Nigel Slater, and Gino d'Acampo. I don't think you have more of a mix than that! And of course I shall miss Antonio Carluccio.

I don't particularly like Jamie Oliver, and I can't stand The Hairy Bikers (all that long hair hanging over their food!) Maybe if they tied their hair back and covered it, I might change mind. Some of their recipes and their travel-type cookery programmes are quite good.

Michael Symon is probably my favorite celebrity chef, both for the food he serves (I've eaten many times at both Roast and B-Spot, his burger place) and for his personality

DITTO - Michael Symon is the least arrogant celebrity chef. He is truly humble and frequently laughs at himself. He is also an exceptional chef. Love his recipes.

I do love just about everything Emeril Lagasse makes

Emeril is a trip. So many people think he is a NOLA native - he is from New York. He really showed his humanity after Katrina. He helped all of his employees relocate and found them jobs in restaurants where ever they landed. When he was ready to re-open his restaurant he brought his employees back to NOLA. I have a couple of his cook books. "BAM"

I also like Mario Batali. I have made many of his recipes.

@ElizabethB - you mentioned Robert Irvine. I watch a lot of cooking shows but I've never heard of him! I looked him up and I realised why - I think he lives in America and all his shows are American made. They have been on Food Network but I haven't seen any. I generally watch BBC or the Good Food Channel so that would not be surprising. I don't think many folk in the UK will have heard of him.

Back
Top Bottom