The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:58 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1087.JPG

Why celery gravy, you may ask? If it weren't for the recipe challenge, I wouldn't have thought of trying this. But, here it is: the gravy that would be any child's nightmare. There can still be uses for other occasions: you could serve it, and then wait until someone tries it. Then, in a panic, say "I just realized the gravy's gone bad. I hope no one tried it!" Then, before someone calls poison control, you can tell them the truth.

The taste is actually very much like a gravy you'd expect to have, except the celery makes it a bit sweeter and less savory than one made with mushrooms. This is exactly the same recipe I use for gravy, except for that rather important difference.

Ingredients

1⁄4 lb light butter (or substitute margarine for a vegan preparation)
2 ounces yellow onions, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
8 ounces celery stalks, green parts only (remove leaves and reserve, but keep stalks whole)
1⁄4 cup flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable stock (I made one previously for a mushroom soup recipe)
1 tablespoon brandy

Directions

1. Shave the "threads" from the spine of the celery stalks using a peeler, then discard. Chop celery finely and set aside.

IMG_1075.JPG

2. In a large pan, heat the butter until it melts. Add onions and cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, scraping pan occasionally. Add celery, stir thoroughly, and cook for another 5 minutes, scraping pan occasionally.

3. Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned and softened.

4. Add flour to the pan, and stir until blended into a paste. Blend in the salt and pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.

5. Add the vegetable stock and brandy. Cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes until thickened.

6. If desired, puree mixture (this is what I did...the chunks of celery were a bit too big).

7. Season to taste, and serve.

Last edited:
But, here it is: the gravy that would be any child's nightmare. There can still be uses for other occasions: you could serve it, and then wait until someone tries it. Then, in a panic, say "I just realized the gravy's gone bad. I hope no one tried it!" Then, before someone calls poison control, you can tell them the truth.

:roflmao::roflmao:

I just love this.

Back
Top Bottom