Recipe Celery root with cashew/harissa cream, and crispy brussel sprout chips

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:28 AM
This recipe was originally found at http://tasty-yummies.com/butternut-...ashew-cream-and-crispy-brussels-sprout-chips/ . We made it the first time using butternut squash and loved it. It can be easily made vegan by using nutritional yeast instead of parm cheese in the harissa, or simply omitting the cheese, and by not using a fried or poached egg on top as we did. This is an entry to https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/the-cookingbites-recipe-challenge-celery.11539/ .

full.jpg

Celery root noodles
1 large or 2 small celery root(s) *
Approx. 1 tablespoon EVOO
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)

Crispy Brussels Sprout Chips
Approx 1-1/2 cups, loosely packed Brussels sprout leaves (the outer leaves from approximately 1 pound of sprouts, use the leftover "hearts" for another meal)
Approx. 1 tablespoon EVOO
Kosher salt and black pepper

Harissa paste
1 whole roasted red pepper, seeds removed
4 ounces dried red chiles, of your choice (see below)
3-5 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup reserved water from the chiles, you may want more
3 tablespoons EVOO, plus more to store

Types of Chiles: Use any dried chiles that you like or have on hand. I like to mix and use fairly common and easy to find New Mexico, Guajillo, Ancho. Make sure and add at least 2 or 3 of the smaller really hot chiles like Chipotle, Arbol, Japones, or Cascabel. Add more spicy chiles if you like it HOT!

Harissa Cashew Cream Sauce
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked (for at least 4 hours in hot tap water, 10 minutes or so in boiling water if you forget)
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon EVOO
2 teaspoons Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, substitute nutritional yeast if you are vegan, or just omit both and add a touch more salt
1-2 tablespoons Harissa paste (you can add more or less of this to your level of spice)
juice from 1/2 lemon
Kosher or sea salt, to taste

full.jpg

First, let's make the harissa. I like to do this a day or 2 ahead as it's the only thing that really takes a whole lot of time. Stem the chiles. If you like it spicy, leave the seeds. If you don't, remove some or as many of the seeds as you can get. Place the dried chiles in a bowel, cover with boiling water, weight them down with something so they are covered and let sit for about 20 minutes. Next, toast the caraway, cumin, and coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until aromatic, usually about 3-5 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and grind in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle until you have a powder. Drain the chiles, reserving the water, and place all the harissa ingredients in a blender or high powered food processor and blend into a smooth paste, adding some of the reserved soaking water as needed. If you don't like the fine bits and pieces of chile skin or seeds left, you can mash it through a fine wire colander, or leave it as is, up to you.

full.jpg

Next the brussel sprout chips. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread the brussel sprouts out in a single layer on a large baking sheet, salt and pepper, drizzle with EVOO, toss, then bake for 8 to 10 minutes, rearranging a couple of times until they are crispy and brown on the edges. You will have to watch closely toward the end so that they don't burn.

full.jpg

Once the chips are done (or while they are cooking if you are good at multi-tasking and won't burn the chips), spiralize the celery root. Alternatively, you could slice it on a mandolin then julienne, or even grate it with a large-hole grater, just adjust cooking times as needed. Raise the oven temperature to 400 F. In a large bowl, salt, pepper, and drizzle the oil over the noddles, toss well to mix. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake 6-8 minutes until "al dente" like pasta, tossing and rearranging a time or 2 depending on how long they need to cook. This may vary widely depending on how your celery root (or butternut squash) is cut.

full

While the noodles are cooking, make the cashew/harissa cream sauce. Drain the cashews. Place them in a blender or high-powered food processor with the remainder of the sauce ingredients, adding water a tablesoon full or so at a time, and blend until a smooth creamy paste forms.

Finally, put the dish together. Toss the noodles with the cashew/harissa sauce, place in bowl, top with the chips, fried or poached egg if desired, and more harissa if desired. Serve and Enjoy!

*The first celery root I got was really big and ended up being too big for my spiralizer, it didn't have room to turn all the way around. Not only did I almost break the blade because of not paying close attention when I started it, but I pretty much cored out and ruined the first celery root for spiralizing. So, back to the store for a much smaller celery root and I ended up cutting the first 1 way down and cutting the ends off until I got to a part where I could attach the spiralizer so it would turn. Just as an FYI, I have the spiralizer attachment for a KitchenAid mixer. I bagged the leftover bits and pieces and will use them with a potato or 2 to make a mash.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
The celeriac noodles turned out really well, @medtran49 and its great to make your own harissa. It tastes so much better than buying a jar or tube. This is really an excellent vegan dish if the yeast is subbed for the parmesan. :okay:

Wow...a lot of good stuff going on here! When I first saw the title, I wondered where the celery was, until I saw that you spiralized the celery root. I have a hand-crank spiralizer, but I'm willing to give it a try to do this. And, I will definitely be making my own harissa paste after seeing this, too.

Back
Top Bottom