Certain foods or drinks that affects sleep

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
8:48 PM
Do you think there are certain foods eaten or drinks taken few hours before sleep that affects why a certain person finds it hard to fall asleep at night?

Before I had difficulties in my sleeping so I started to take down notes what are the foods I am eating or drinking few hours before I sleep. So I had made a study and I found out that my tea drinking habit few hours before sleep is the culprit on this problem. So I abstain myself not to drink tea anymore because of its caffeine content which gives me a hard time to fall asleep. After that I had a regular sleeping time already.

How about you? What are your views with regards to certain foods and drinks that affects your sleep?

It's long been said that there are some foods to stay far away from some hours before bedtime. Take water for example. I recently read that by eight you should have had your last glass of water to avoid having to get up during the nights. How true that is I don't know. It's been said that heavy foods, spicy foods and those high in protein don't digest well and makes sleeping comfortably difficult. On the other hand diary and carbs are said to help you to have a more restful night.

When it's all said and done I still believe it has everything to do with the overall health and lifestyle of the individual. What bothers one person, might not affect the other.

I think as far as water is concerned, not drinking it is more to do with the fact that as we get older, our bladders become weaker and so we have to get up during the night. They say you shouldn't drink tea or coffee after certain time due to it keeping you awake, and cheese as well. Can't say drinking coffee in the evening effects me though.

I have never heard about that. I just know that taking a lot of fluids will disrupt your sleep since you will need to wake up and go to the urinals frequently. I like taking tea in the evening after supper but it has never affected my sleeping habits. After a long day's work I do fall asleep immediately I go to bed.

I always try to stay away from drinking caffeine-containing beverages like tea or coffee a few hours before bedtime. When I drink either of these beverages before bedtime, I would get to sleep, but a few hours afterwards I would awake and find it hard to get back to sleep. I know that eating chocolate inhitbits sleep also, so I would also stay away from eating any of that at night. Warm milk or a chocolate drink like Milo or Ovaltine taken a couple hours before bedtime, is very good for inducing sleep. This has been my experience.

I used to have problems falling asleep at night and realized that I was drinking coffee too close to bed time. I cut that out and sleep really well now. Ice Cream is one of those treats that makes me want to fall asleep after eating it, despite the sugar content. It is comforting and creamy. I am really not sure of any other foods that would keep you from falling asleep at night.

For the drinks, it is soda next to coffee, actually Coke it is that they say have caffein so you don’t drink Coke after dinner time. But if your dinner is pork, it is all right because the pork would neutralize the caffein in the Coke. For the food, one of those sleep stealer is chocolate particularly the dark chocolate. From what I know, it also has caffein that is hidden under the chocolate flavor. And do not drink Coke while eating chocolate because it will give you a jolt and if you have a weak tummy, your acid might be agitated.

Peanut Butter before bed makes for some pretty crazy dreams too. I have never heard the cheese before bed - wacky dreams! But it does make sense because for the past two night I ate cheese before I went to bed and I have had the craziest dreams. I was wondering why. Now I know. I will have to stop having cheese as a nighttime snack.

Sweets do that for me! I find it hard to sleep after I over indulge eating sweets. Which is often:wink:

I have to agree that drinking tea too close to bedtime will affect my sleep. I have taken to decaffeinating my tea before bed or drink herbal tea. to decaffeinate tea you can pour hot water over your tea bag and steep for about a minute. Then discard the tea. Pour fresh new boiling water over the tea bag and the caffeine will be removed. I also find that eating chocolate or spicy food right before bed will keep me up at night.

It's hard for me to sleep at night when I take alcohol and caffeine or chocolate drinks. I stay away from them as much as possible because as a mom I need to sleep early to wake up early and attend to my kids before they go to school. So it's just a regular meal at night and then a glass of milk before I go to sleep. Sometimes I crave for burgers but I think it doesn't affect me because I can still sleep early.

Back
Top Bottom