Charcoal Bread

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:13 PM
To clarify, this is not my cookery.

Has anyone come across "charcoal bread" before?

charcoal bread.jpeg

Eating charcoal is an old tymey first aid treatment for when someone ingested a poison. It only works on a few poisons, though.

When I was a kid, one of my sisters used to like her toast burnt to a crisp like that.

There's a restaurant we go to for breakfast that ALWAYS has at least 1 incident of burned toast every time we go. They have an open kitchen with counter service in front of part of it so the burnt toast can be smelled in every part of the restaurant .

My toast is near still white still so no burnt toast for me...isn't char a carcinogen?

Sorry, but if I did, I wouldn't eat it. I like my toast lightly browned.
Lightly browned here too. Unless cheese on toast. Then black corners are expected and enjoyed.

I think we are going astray in this thread. To clarify:

Charcoal bread isn't burnt toast. Its not toasted at all. Its a bread made with charcoal powder added. Its soft bread - Recipe here:
http://dingoozatfood.blogspot.com/2016/09/charcoal-soft-bread.html

Bamboo charcoal is a fun ingredient widely used in many bread, cake and cookie recipes throughout Asia. The charcoal powder is actually tasteless and odourless. It lends a naturally coloured and gorgeous look to baked goods without affecting the taste.

I have charcoal powder in my store cupboard and used it to make some black ice-cream. I can vouch that it has no flavour - it just colours the ice-cream black for dramatic effect.

IMG_9601.JPG

I have charcoal powder too...its out in my art studio...will be leaving it out there.

In college there was a fountain outside the building that they colored the water with charcoal to hide the mechanics of the fountain cause instead of shooting water up into the air like most fountain pumps this fountain sucked water from shapes hidden in the water so animal shaped holes would appear in the water surface at times.

I'm going to have a go at making charcoal bread - I'm thinking of a dark rye bread with pumpkin seeds and caraway seeds.

Back
Top Bottom