"Cheese and biscuits"

Arch

Guru
Local time
10:51 AM
This is doing the rounds on Twitter over here in the UK. A lady asked for "Cheese and biscuits" (cheese and crackers for those in the US) in a hotel, and got this:

B_Gwiu-UQAALjMr.jpg

Trouble is, the more I see it, the more I want a big bowl of random cheese and biscuits!

Attachments

• B_Gwiu-UQAALjMr.jpg
    B_Gwiu-UQAALjMr.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 143
I have fruit cake with cheese,and have sweet chutneys with soft cheese, but Brie and bourbon ,not for me

It's a shame there's no digestives in that bowl - they go really well with cheese. Whoever presented the woman with this arrangement must feel pretty silly now though!

Oh wow. to me that bowl just looks odd. Seems to be filled with a lot of sweet stuff and the sour which comes from the cheese! I don't think that I would enjoy it much plus I am really not a cheese girl.

I don't think I would like those cookies with cheese. To me a hot cup of coffee is the thing to go with the cookies and a glass of wine with the cheese and fruit.

I wonder who feels more silly, the customer for asking for cheese and biscuits or the server for giving the customer cheese and biscuits. In the US, we call the "buscuits" shown above cookies, and I guess the salty variety are called crackers. I wonder what kind of things I would get on my plate if I were to go to the UK for dining? Cheese, crackers, and summer sausage is my favorite snack combination ever!

I have never experience that thing "cheese and biscuits" together. I do not eat cheese that much and for the biscuits I rather eat them together with an orange or mango juice or a cup of hot chocolate. It's better for me to eat that way.

I wonder who feels more silly, the customer for asking for cheese and biscuits or the server for giving the customer cheese and biscuits. In the US, we call the "buscuits" shown above cookies, and I guess the salty variety are called crackers. I wonder what kind of things I would get on my plate if I were to go to the UK for dining? Cheese, crackers, and summer sausage is my favorite snack combination ever!

"Cheese and biscuits" is a perfectly normal thing to ask for over here, and often listed on menus as such as an alternative to dessert. I would expect most British people to understand that "cheese and biscuits" means a selection of cheese and savory crackers. So I doubt the customer feels silly at all.

What in the world is summer sausage?

Summer sausage is like a hard salami without all of the peppercorns and extra spices inside. I think it is called summer sausage because people normally slice it up and serve it with cheese and crackers to snack on at outdoor events during the summer. It is a cured meat so it can sit out for a while.

Haha I don't think sweet biscuits would go well together with cheese. Not my thing, that I'm sure of.
Love cheese with those TUC crackers/biscuits/whatever as well as with pretty much any salty biscuit/cracker/whatever.

"Cheese and biscuits" is a perfectly normal thing to ask for over here, and often listed on menus as such as an alternative to dessert. I would expect most British people to understand that "cheese and biscuits" means a selection of cheese and savory crackers. So I doubt the customer feels silly at all.

What in the world is summer sausage?

We sometimes like to finish a meal with cheese and biscuits because neither of us are particularly keen on sweet desserts. We also have some at home on occasions, Carrs biscuits, brie, a strong blue, maybe a cheddar or a smoky cheese served either with red wine or a small glass of port.

Wow! What a plate. Cheese and biscuits? I am actually craving my local "elcipse" biscuits and cheese right now at this ridiculous hour. It's not nearly as pretty to look at as the dish presented here but it a favourite treat of mine. I could eat it everyday.

Back
Top Bottom