Cherries galore!

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:19 PM
Its cherry season here in Kent and thanks to my own tree plus my neighbour also giving me some I have a small mountain of them. Cherry jam is the obvious choice. But no-one here really eats jam. Any ideas are welcome.

Cherry pie with ice cream is a about the only thing I like as cherries are not my favourite fruit (even though we had cherry trees in our garden when I was little). There are several recipes for wines which use ordinary cherries.

@morning glory

Cherries:

1) Cherry Preserves / Marmalade.
2) Cherry Liquor ..
3) Cherry Vanilla Icecream / Gelato / Sorbet / Sherbert ..
4) Roast Duck with Cherries ( Canard aux Cerises ) ..
5) Foie gras de canard with cherries ..
6) Cherry Pie ..
7) Fruit Salad ..
8) Ice Cream Sodas ..
9) Crêpes with Cherry Salsa ..
10) Cherry Gaspacho ( French style ) or Cherry Gazpacho ( Spanish style ) ..

Have fun ..

- Cherry Clafoutis. So good! Easy, too. Since it doesn't use any leavening agent, it's really easy to adjust if you don't want to bake a 9 inch (almost 23 cm) pan. It's good warm, cold, for dessert or breakfast.
- Wash, pit and freeze to have after fresh cherries are gone. I freeze them on a baking tray, then put into zip lock bags when they're frozen. I like them in plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast or a snack.
- Drunken Cherries. Hubby and I will be making these soon. Basically wash the cherries, put into a clean wide-mouthed jar until it's full, and pour enough vodka over to cover. I've seen recipes that tell you to remove the stems and don't add sugar, and I've seen recipes that clip the stems and add some sugar after you pack the jar and before you pour the vodka. My MIL left the stems intact and long, and also put the jar into the fridge. I don't know if it was there just because we were visiting or she "cured" them that way, but the recipes I've seen tell you to cure them out of refrigeration. Then again, they did live in southwest Florida, so this was the only way she could duplicate a cellar.

I'm sure there are other things I've done with them (besides stuff them into my mouf). If I think of any more, I'll let you know..

Thank for suggestions - Cherry pie, duck with cherry, cherry preserves/jam are all obvious choices. Been there and done that. I'm looking for something a liittle more experimental. I'm looking for ideas! I'm more interested in the savoury side of things. Perhaps a hot cherry pickle?

What is cherry marmalade @Francesca? How does it differ from cherry jam/conserve?

- Cherry Clafoutis. So good! Easy, too

Yes - I once tried to make this without success. I can't remember what happened but I think it looked not very appetising. Perhaps I had better have another try!

Drunken Cherries.

I've made something similar before - brandied cherries. They are great around Xmas time! Vodka sounds more elegant so that may be the way to go.

Regarding "clafoutis":
Yes - I once tried to make this without success. I can't remember what happened but I think it looked not very appetising. Perhaps I had better have another try!...
There is a article with that recipe that explains all the science and steps that the Serious Eats writer went through to come up with the end result. If you are into that sort of thing, it might help you figure out how you can achieve a prettier product. I know even when it looks bad it still tastes so good. Enough powder sugar sprinkle can hide a lot of sins. :wink:

Regarding "clafoutis":

There is a article with that recipe that explains all the science and steps that the Serious Eats writer went through to come up with the end result. If you are into that sort of thing, it might help you figure out how you can achieve a prettier product. I know even when it looks bad it still tastes so good. Enough powder sugar sprinkle can hide a lot of sins. :wink:

SNAP - well almost! I was just looking up cherry clafoutis and came across this: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...3/aug/29/how-to-cook-perfect-cherry-clafoutis.

OK, so I'm on a challenge. My cherry clafoutis will appear within the next few days!

hl-gray-logo.v1.20170621071716.png

Food & Nutrition
7 Ways Cherry Juice Benefits You
Written by Cara J. Stevens
Medically Reviewed by Peggy Pletcher, MS, RD, LD, CDE on 22 April 2015

642x361-8_Ways_Cherry_Juice_Benefits_You.jpg

Cherry juice is not only refreshingly delicious, but it provides some solid health benefits, too. With about 120 calories per 1-cup serving, it is rich in nutrients like potassium and iron. Read on for eight reasons to sip and savor.

1. Helps Post-Workout Recovery
Cherry juice may help recovery post-exercise. It is naturally high in potassium, which conducts electrical impulses throughout the body. This mineral also helps maintain blood pressure, hydration, muscle recovery, nerve impulses, digestion, heart rate, and pH balance. Cherries contain about 330 mg of potassium per cup, which is almost 10 percent of how much you need each day.

Advertisement

Advertisement

2. Fights Inflammation and Arthritis Pain
Research shows that the antioxidants in tart cherry juice can reduce pain and inflammation from osteoarthritis. A 2012 study showed that drinking cherry juice twice a day for 21 days reduced the pain felt by people with osteoarthritis. Blood tests also showed that they suffered from significantly less inflammation.

3. Reduces Swelling
When people experience pain from swelling, they often turn to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). However, the effects of these drugs can be harmful, especially when you take them too often or have allergies. A 2004 study found that cherry juice supplements can reduce inflammation and pain-related behavior in animals, showing promise as a treatment for swelling in humans.

Find out how cherries and cherry juice can help with arthritis pain »

Advertisement

4. Boosts Immunity
Like all fruits and vegetables, cherries pack a powerful antioxidant and anti-viral punch. Flavonoids, a type of antioxidant in cherry juice, are made by plants to fight infection. Research shows that these chemicals can have a significant impact on immune system function.

5. Regulates Metabolism and Fights Fat
There is some evidence in animals that tart cherries can help adjust your body’s metabolism and your ability to lose abdominal body fat. One study showed that anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid responsible for cherries’ red color, act against the development of obesity. Another study in rats found that tart cherries can help reduce inflammation and abdominal fat, and lower the risk of metabolic syndrome.

Advertisement

Advertisement

6. Helps You Sleep
The anti-inflammatory properties of cherry juice combined with a dash of sleep-regulating melatonin may help you sleep better, according to a recent study. The results suggest that tart cherry juice has similar effects as insomnia medications like valerian or melatonin on older adults.

7. Blocks Cancer Growth
In a 2003 study, researchers pitted cherry juice against the NSAID sulindac, which is the most common preventive anti-inflammatory treatment for colon tumors. Although an animal study, it is notable that cherry juice — unlike the NSAID — reduced the growth of cancer cells.

Even without its antioxidants and nutrients, cherry juice is deliciously tart and refreshing. Try replacing sodas and sports drinks with something that can really make a difference to your health.

References:

Copyright © 2005 - 2018 Healthline Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. Healthline is for informational purposes and should not be considered medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations.
Do it for you!

SUBMIT

@morning glory

Marmalade is a very thick fruit preserve utilising the fruit, juice of the fruit and peel ( or zest ). It is boiled in sugar and wáter ..

Normally Marmalade refers to Citrus fruit varieties however, I was referring to the thick texture. It is much thicker than Jam or Jelly.

Have a lovely day ..

hl-gray-logo.v1.20170621071716.png

Food & Nutrition
7 Ways Cherry Juice Benefits You
Written by Cara J. Stevens
Medically Reviewed by Peggy Pletcher, MS, RD, LD, CDE on 22 April 2015

642x361-8_Ways_Cherry_Juice_Benefits_You.jpg

Cherry juice is not only refreshingly delicious, but it provides some solid health benefits, too. With about 120 calories per 1-cup serving, it is rich in nutrients like potassium and iron. Read on for eight reasons to sip and savor.

1. Helps Post-Workout Recovery
Cherry juice may help recovery post-exercise. It is naturally high in potassium, which conducts electrical impulses throughout the body. This mineral also helps maintain blood pressure, hydration, muscle recovery, nerve impulses, digestion, heart rate, and pH balance. Cherries contain about 330 mg of potassium per cup, which is almost 10 percent of how much you need each day.

Advertisement

Advertisement

2. Fights Inflammation and Arthritis Pain
Research shows that the antioxidants in tart cherry juice can reduce pain and inflammation from osteoarthritis. A 2012 study showed that drinking cherry juice twice a day for 21 days reduced the pain felt by people with osteoarthritis. Blood tests also showed that they suffered from significantly less inflammation.

3. Reduces Swelling
When people experience pain from swelling, they often turn to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). However, the effects of these drugs can be harmful, especially when you take them too often or have allergies. A 2004 study found that cherry juice supplements can reduce inflammation and pain-related behavior in animals, showing promise as a treatment for swelling in humans.

Find out how cherries and cherry juice can help with arthritis pain »

Advertisement

4. Boosts Immunity
Like all fruits and vegetables, cherries pack a powerful antioxidant and anti-viral punch. Flavonoids, a type of antioxidant in cherry juice, are made by plants to fight infection. Research shows that these chemicals can have a significant impact on immune system function.

5. Regulates Metabolism and Fights Fat
There is some evidence in animals that tart cherries can help adjust your body’s metabolism and your ability to lose abdominal body fat. One study showed that anthocyanins, a type of flavonoid responsible for cherries’ red color, act against the development of obesity. Another study in rats found that tart cherries can help reduce inflammation and abdominal fat, and lower the risk of metabolic syndrome.

Advertisement

Advertisement

6. Helps You Sleep
The anti-inflammatory properties of cherry juice combined with a dash of sleep-regulating melatonin may help you sleep better, according to a recent study. The results suggest that tart cherry juice has similar effects as insomnia medications like valerian or melatonin on older adults.

7. Blocks Cancer Growth
In a 2003 study, researchers pitted cherry juice against the NSAID sulindac, which is the most common preventive anti-inflammatory treatment for colon tumors. Although an animal study, it is notable that cherry juice — unlike the NSAID — reduced the growth of cancer cells.

Even without its antioxidants and nutrients, cherry juice is deliciously tart and refreshing. Try replacing sodas and sports drinks with something that can really make a difference to your health.

References:

Copyright © 2005 - 2018 Healthline Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. Healthline is for informational purposes and should not be considered medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations.
Do it for you!

SUBMIT
I love cherries but they're also expensive. Last week, I picked out a bunch of red cherries for a price of four plus dollars over Rainier cherries which were costing over six bucks per bunch.

@morning glory

Marmalade is a very thick fruit preserve utilising the fruit, juice of the fruit and peel ( or zest ). It is boiled in sugar and wáter ..

Normally Marmalade refers to Citrus fruit varieties however, I was referring to the thick texture. It is much thicker than Jam or Jelly.

Have a lovely day ..

Of course I know what marmalade is! We eat lots of it in the UK (the citrus one)! I just didn't understand the concept of cherry marmalade, Surely a thick cherry jam is a conserve. Maybe this is a language thing...

Of course I know what marmalade is! We eat lots of it in the UK (the citrus one)! I just didn't understand the concept of cherry marmalade, Surely a thick cherry jam is a conserve. Maybe this is a language thing...

I was stressing the "thickness " and that is why I used to Word " Marmalade " and not Jam or Jelly .. I could have used Preserves as well ..
Or even a Chutney would be interesting with cherries !

Have a nice day ..

I love cherries but they're also expensive. Last week, I picked out a bunch of red cherries for a price of four plus dollars over Rainier cherries which were costing over six bucks per bunch.

@toddhicks209

Cherry Season in Spain is much earlier ( Last week of March through April and part of May ) as the key Designation of Origin is Valle de Huerte, ( Er Tei ) Extremadura, 3 hours southwest of Madrid Capital ..

In Barcelona where I am from and live: I pay approx. a little less than 3 Euros a Kilo in season ..

Back
Top Bottom