Retro Recipe Cherry Cakes 'en papillote'

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:07 PM
From the Paper-Bag Cookery by Vera Countess Serkoff (1911). Its on-line here:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/41406/41406-h/41406-h.htm

I am not sure how these cakes are supposed to be but they are more like a shortbread than a cake - buttery, crumbly and delicious. I found they took more like 15 - 20 mins to cook than the 10 stated in the recipe - the oven was set at 180C. I used maraschino cherries rather than dried ones and flaked almonds. All quantities remained as in the recipe.

One advantage of cooking this way is that they stay pale and pretty - I tried cooking a sample without the 'papillote' but they quickly became too brown. I'm thinking I may try cooking biscuits (UK type) this way in future as I have trouble with over brown edges when cooked conventionally.

fullsizeoutput_3fad.jpeg

Here is the recipe as it appears in the book:

Beat a quarter of a pound of butter and two ounces of sugar together till very light, add one egg, very thoroughly beaten, stir in by degrees half a pound of self-raising flour. Turn the dough out on a board; chop two ounces of dried cherries finely, blanch and chop one ounce of sweet almonds. Roll out the dough, sprinkle over the cherries and almonds, and fold the dough together; roll it out again and fold it again; roll it out once more to half an inch in thickness; cut into rounds; put into a thickly buttered bag and cook ten minutes.

Prior to cooking:

fullsizeoutput_3fa2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom