Recipe Chestnut Crêpes with Ricotta + Persimmon Cream

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:30 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Chestnut f. crepes.jpg

These delicious crêpes, also known in Italian as crespelle, are an original conclusion to a rich and filling a dinner. Scrummy and very light, these crêpes are naturally sweetened by the chestnut flour and made ever more wintery by the subtle hint of persimmon.

Makes: 5 to 6 crêpes | Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 12 mins

• Ricotta: 350 g
  • Chestnut flour: 150 g
  • Whole milk: 250 ml
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 9 ml
  • Persimmons, ripe: 2
  • Eggs: 2
  • Icing sugar: 1 tbsp
  • Butter, unsalted: as needed
  • Dark chocolate: to taste
  • A pinch of salt
Method

Sift the chestnut flour and mix it in a bowl with the eggs, the milk, the oil and a pinch of salt. Whisk the dough thoroughly until it has a smooth and homogeneous texture; leave it to rest in the fridge for about half an hour.

Cut off the upper part of each persimmon and use a spoon to dig out the pulp. Put it in a food processor with the ricotta and the icing sugar and blend all the ingredients together until you get a soft and velvety cream.

Use a knife to break the dark chocolate into small pieces, then add it to the ricotta mixture and stir it just about enough to evenly distribute the chocolate.

Melt a thin sliver of butter in a large nonstick frying pan; use a spoon to pour in the pan just enough dough to cover the whole surface of the pan. When the crepe starts to detach itself from the borders of the pan, it means it’s ready to be flipped over and cooked for a minute more on the other side.

Let the crepe slide from the pan to a plate. Place a generous knob of ricotta cream in the middle of the crepe, then fold it in four parts and press gently with the back of a clean spoon to distribute the filling.

Sprinkle a bit of chocolate on top and your crêpes are ready to be enjoyed.

That is spooky! I was listening to a radio programme about chestnuts this afternoon, and chestnut flour and chestnut crepes were mentioned. I was going to create a post asking if members had any experience of it. I understand from the programme that chestnuts are a big thing in Italy at this time of year. Apparently, although the UK does buy chestnuts from other EU countries, a lot are now coming from China.

That is spooky! I was listening to a radio programme about chestnuts this afternoon, and chestnut flour and chestnut crepes were mentioned. I was going to create a post asking if members had any experience of it. I understand from the programme that chestnuts are a big thing in Italy at this time of year. Apparently, although the UK does buy chestnuts from other EU countries, a lot are now coming from China.

Surprise! I was the one who suggested the topic on the radio
Especially October and November is the period dedicated to the collection of chestnuts.
And of course the supermarkets shelves sell a lot of chestnut flour ... but it's quite expensive.
Possibly you can also get a chestnut flour with a homemade method, just boil them first, then baked them in the oven, then mixer and you have chestnut flour.

Back
Top Bottom