Chianti, Whats Your Pleasure?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:41 AM
I'm a big fan of Chianti Classico Riserva. I like both Ruffino and Banfi labels.

Someone bought me a bottle of this not long ago - but in truth I'm not keen on oak aged wines and this one is. I prefer the younger un-oaked Chianti

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 11.40.10.png

Heck of a question..all Chianti is my pleasure.. Gabbiano, Brolio, is what we usually have, although we hit the vintage section some times..probably too many times...:p

I adore good chianti. I much prefer the 'traditional' chiantis which do not have foreign interlopers blended into the mix (eg merlot, cab sav). Do not have a favourite as there are so, so many good producers.

Two that I have in the 'cellar' at the moment are Villa Cafaggio Chianti Classico and Frascole Chianti Ruffina. Both are good and most enjoyable, fruity and refreshing but will be drunk within the next 14 months.

Unless you are retiring in the next few days @buckytom I have some bad news. 1991 was not a great year in toscana, so this wine is likely to be tired, have little flavour and dried out. 1988 was a good year but even that is now 30 years old and would have been better 10 years ago. Unless of course, you like very old wine that is past its 'best'.

Open today would be my advice!

Back
Top Bottom