• 1 medium Onion, sliced
  • 150 gm Bamboo shoots, sliced
  • 150 gm Bean sprouts
  • 1 tblsp Cornflour
  • 1 tsp Oyster sauce
  • ½ litre Chicken stock
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method

Mix the garlic, oyster sauce, soya sauce, salt and cornflour in a bowl. Add the chicken slices and mix well to ensure the chicken is well coated. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

In a large wok, stir fry each of the vegetables (except the bean sprouts) separately in a little hot olive oil for about 2 minutes each, then keep aside in a bowl, Similarly fry the bean sprouts but only for 1 minute. Add to the bowl.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and stir fry in a little hot olive oil until cooked (around 3 to 4 minutes.

Return all the vegetables to the wok and mix well.

Combine the oyster sauce, cornflour and chicken stock in a jug and then add to the wok. Season and bring to a simmer. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
Such a pretty dish. But why do you need to stir fry each veg separately? Surely if they each cook for 2 mins then you could put them all in together?

I'm sure that we've been here before MG. Stir frying in small quantities allows the food to cook more evenly. And you would need a wok the size of a concrete mixer to get them all in together. It's like the different result of cooking a handfull of chips in a deep fry and cooking 3 kilos.

[Edit: in fact, only the chicken is actually cooked. The rest is basically only heated]

Last edited:
I'm sure that we've been here before MG. Stir frying in small quantities allows the food to cook more evenly. And you would need a wok the size of a concrete mixer to get them all in together. It's like the different result of cooking a handfull of chips in a deep fry and cooking 3 kilos.

[Edit: in fact, only the chicken is actually cooked. The rest is basically only heated]

I think we have been here before - sorry! My memory is not what it was...

I was relating earlier (on another forum) that my first woodwork project in senior school (1960) was to make a garden dibber. My second was a picnic folding seat; and in metalwork, the first was a soldered tin mug and the second a plumb bob.

That was almost 60 years ago and I still cannot remember if I played snooker last Friday!

Very nice, and beautifully photographed as always, @Yorky. I'm glad you explained the reasons for stir-frying the ingredients separately: this is what I would do if I were making a bibimbap, where all the components are placed in separate sections of the same bowl. But, I see how it makes sense here.

Water chestnuts that we were given yesterday.

water chestnuts s.jpg

For today's chop suey: Capsicum, water chestnuts, snow peas, bok choy stalks, bok choy leaves, Shiitake mushrooms, shredded bamboo and bean sprouts (onions to add).

You beat me to it, Yorky.

Like the joke that sex is the second thing to go as you get older. I can't remember what is first.

Btw, this has made me wonder about the etymology of the term chop suey.

I've often heard that it was a loose definition of a dish by Chinese immigrants to the West coast of the US.
It was whatever veggies and meat were available to be stir fried, bits of this and that.

But as Chinese culture is so old, it may have an older origin of simply meaning "leftovers".

Btw, this has made me wonder about the etymology of the term chop suey.

I've often heard that it was a loose definition of a dish by Chinese immigrants to the West coast of the US.
It was whatever veggies and meat were available to be stir fried, bits of this and that.

That is exactly the information that I have. San Francisco, I believe. I read that the name originates from a bastardisation of the Cantonese phrase tsap sui (odds and ends).

Back
Top Bottom