Recipe Chicken Cordon Bleu

Slumgullioneer

Über Member
Local time
4:07 PM
As requested elsewhere, I hereby present to you one of my signature dishes, Chicken Cordon Bleu.
I've made my adapted version of CCB many times in high-end banquets and catering.
(Note: I realize this is a predominantly UK/European Membership, my apologies for not having converted this to the Metric system)

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 slices good quality deli ham, e.g., black forest
6 slices good Swiss or Guyere cheese
Fresh spinach leaves
Roasted red pepper strips
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour(approx)
1 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
6 Tbsp glaze (3T Dijon mustard, 2T honey, 1T white wine, mixed)
(Note: In classic Cordon Bleu, the only stuffing ingredients called for are ham and cheese. The addition of spinach and red pepper strips adds to both the flavor experience and the visual presentation when cutting/serving. Adding a glaze to the inside surface aids greatly in keeping the chicken moist while baking.)

Procedure:
1.Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch.
2.Place the eggs, flour and bread crumbs in 3 separate flat dishes, e.g., pie plates.
3.Dredge shiny side of each breast in flour, then egg, then crumbs.
4.Lay out on cutting board, dredged side down.
5.Generously coat each breast with the glaze.
6.Place a layer of spinach leaves on each breast, followed by cheese, then ham slice, then a strip of red pepper, laying it "parallel to the roll".
7.Roll up breast around the filling and secure with toothpicks if desired, lay in baking pan seam sides down. (touch up the breading if needed)
8.Bake at 350°F apx 45 minutes, or to internal temp of 155 to 160F. Try not to over bake.

Sherry Cream Sauce:

2 T minced shallots
1 ½ c. decent Cream Sherry
¼ c white wine vinegar
1 pint (2 cups) heavy cream
white pepper to taste

Procedure:
(Note: start this sauce about 30 minutes before the chicken is done--it takes a while to reduce.)

1. Saucepan is acceptable but I use a saute pan, as its wider area makes for a faster,
more even reduction.
2. Place cream sherry, white wine vinegar and shallots in pan, bring to simmer over med-high heat.
3. Continue fast reduction til approaching au sec, the sherry appearing almost syrupy. (You should have a couple tablespoons worth) And be careful at this stage not to burn the shallots.
4. At this point you can optionally strain out the shallots-- I generally leave them in for a slightly textured sauce.
5. Add the heavy cream, bring back to simmer scraping sides, continue reducing at no more than a medium simmer. (It'll take a while, and bubble and gurgle and the top edges will get brown before you scrape it down... all perfectly normal) Just keep it stirred now and again to keep the flavours meshed.
6. When approaching the thickness and color you want (the bubbles will change as it thickens) add a pinch or two of white pepper, or other preferred kickers.
7. When done, remove from heat, cool to tasting temp and finish pepper to taste.
8. Keep warm and covered if possible, as the cream will cause the normal filming over--just stir before using.

Presentation:
Option A) Place each breast on a bed of the sauce, dribble sauce over.
Option B) Slice open each breast crosswise, separate so the filling can be seen, place on plate on a bed of sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
hereby present to you one of my signature dishes, Chicken Cordon Bleu.
This is significantly better than what I normally expect from a Chicken Cordon Bleu: before you even noted it, I realized that the spinach and peppers added complexity to the dish. And, I like the idea of the sauce as an accompaniment: chicken breast is something that's the go-to way to serve chicken in the States, despite it being pretty bland by itself. I'd love to see a picture next time you make it. But, maybe I'll post mine when I make it from your recipe. :okay:

I've heard of this dish but never made or eaten it. I will bookmark!

This is significantly better than what I normally expect from a Chicken Cordon Bleu: before you even noted it, I realized that the spinach and peppers added complexity to the dish. And, I like the idea of the sauce as an accompaniment: chicken breast is something that's the go-to way to serve chicken in the States, despite it being pretty bland by itself. I'd love to see a picture next time you make it. But, maybe I'll post mine when I make it from your recipe. :okay:

Well thank you, I'm glad you see the improvement. When I first started in that banquet room, as Sous Chef (the only one, really) it was up to me and the owner to develop new menu items. She had a few siggy dishes of her own, but we needed more. Cordon Bleu was requested, but like you I was never a big fan of the status quo...again, bland, in both taste and visual. Another problem was it always seemed to be dry. I set out to remedy those three problems. Though it's not separated, you can still see here the impressive color presentation inside, contrasting nicely with the tan exterior.
With the glaze inside it always comes out moist. Further fighting dryness is the sauce--don't underestimate this sherry-cream reduction--its incredibly rich and flavorful. Though it's based on sauce basic technique, I created it to go with this dish. I just call it Golden sauce. If y'all find another dish it goes well with, do let me know.

413571595.jpg

Well thank you, I'm glad you see the improvement. When I first started in that banquet room, as Sous Chef (the only one, really) it was up to me and the owner to develop new menu items. She had a few siggy dishes of her own, but we needed more. Cordon Bleu was requested, but like you I was never a big fan of the status quo...again, bland, in both taste and visual. Another problem was it always seemed to be dry. I set out to remedy those three problems. Though it's not separated, you can still see here the impressive color presentation inside, contrasting nicely with the tan exterior.
With the glaze inside it always comes out moist. Further fighting dryness is the sauce--don't underestimate this sherry-cream reduction--its incredibly rich and flavorful. Though it's based on sauce basic technique, I created it to go with this dish. I just call it Golden sauce. If y'all find another dish it goes well with, do let me know.

413571595.jpg

That looks so delicious. I now want to make it even more!

Cordon Bleu was requested, but like you I was never a big fan of the status quo...again, bland, in both taste and visual. Another problem was it always seemed to be dry. I set out to remedy those three problems. Though it's not separated, you can still see here the impressive color presentation inside, contrasting nicely with the tan exterior.

And now I realize another thing I like about your preparation: it's baked. I've often seen it fried (usually pan fried, but sometimes deep fried) when I'd get it at banquets. Since it's just chicken, ham, and cheese, it simultaneously delivers something that's both bland and heavy. It also accomplishes the surprising feat of making one of my favorite cheeses (Swiss) seem boring (maybe because it's a low grade Swiss to save on cost). It's a food where I would ask myself after every bite: Do I like this? It was never a resounding yes or no, so I'd keep on eating. Then, it would be gone, and I was left regretting having filled myself up on something so uninspired.

BUT...your recipe has me inspired. It not only has me wanting to make it myself (I have all the ingredients), but also to try "renovating" other traditionally ho-hum dishes, as you've done here.

(Note: I realize this is a predominantly UK/European Membership, my apologies for not having converted this to the Metric system)
I prefer pounds and ounces, although I do try to convert my recipes to metric weights and measures. American cups confuse my poor old brain and I have to look everything up :laugh:

I prefer pounds and ounces, although I do try to convert my recipes to metric weights and measures. American cups confuse my poor old brain and I have to look everything up :laugh:

I rather like 'cups' ever since I found a handy cup measure in a charity shop. Its really so easy to just fill up the cup with an ingredient rather than having to weigh. Is my brain not functioning properly or do I recall from somewhere that US pounds are different from British pounds?

I rather like 'cups' ever since I found a handy cup measure in a charity shop. Its really so easy to just fill up the cup with an ingredient rather than having to weigh.
Hmmm...the weighted measure isn't the same as the volume measure...this has always been a confusing thing about the way units are listed. If it's a liquid, or if it's a baking recipe (a cup of flour), then I know to use the cup measure; otherwise, it's by weight.

I rather like 'cups' ever since I found a handy cup measure in a charity shop. Its really so easy to just fill up the cup with an ingredient rather than having to weigh. Is my brain not functioning properly or do I recall from somewhere that US pounds are different from British pounds?
Well of course theyre different. In the States pounds are a weight measurement, while in UK pounds are much more fun because you can buy things. lol
Seriously though the general rule is, if ounces are referring to liquids, we use fluid ounces (fl oz) a volume measurement.
(8 fl oz per cup) Liquids also use 1/2, 1/4 cup etc., and teaspoons/table spoons. Dry ingredients, flour, cinnamon, etc, use 1/2 cup, or tsp/tbsp.
Things you buy by weight are measured by weight like meats. Usually in pounds sometimes ounces.
There is not a volume measurement here by pounds so far as I know.

I heated the reduction, setting the oven for 30 minutes per the directions. At minute 20, there was almost no liquid left. And, if anything, it was more watery and less syrupy. Did you really mean "simmer over medium high heat?" Or just "bring to a simmer?" That's quite a difference in the amount of heat that brought to bear.

I made my sauce with half and half instead of heavy cream. I frequently make this kind of substitution. And, I didn't have any heavy cream in the fridge.

I added the half-and-half mixture and it immediately curdled. It seems that everything is turning out wrong. But, I'm always determined to fix problems in the kitchen.

I'm plugging on, hoping to right the ship of this recipe. I will comment, and hopefully post a picture, if all goes well.

Final edit: I'm throwing it out. There's no saving this disaster. This will be an educational experience for me. Maybe one day, I will try to make the sauce again.

Last edited:
Well darn it. This really bothers me, and Im sorry.
It might be the vinegar. Half and half should be no problem, just longer to thicken.
Ive made this many times.
I reduce the acid with the shallots to almost dry. I add in the cream, and start reducing.
I do know if the acid reduction is left too thin, it can curdle, it needs to be au sec, almost dry.
Theres so little liquid left it should not curdle or separate.
The wine reduction can be done over medium high heat-- after the cream is added, no more
than a medium heat--too high a heat can separate cream sauces.
It browns a bit while the cream reduces, giving it the tan gold color.
What exact acids etc did you use?
I need to get some ingreds togther before i can make it again. And I'll use half n half.
I feel awful yours didnt turn out, LNG. We'll solve it.
If you do try it again sometime, use Cream Sherry only and no vinegar.
Did you make the chicken, or just try the sauce?

Back
Top Bottom