Recipe Chicken Cordon Bleu

My verdict. The technique really does work. Essentially, the first reduction caramelises further as it is cooked into the cream. The result is a silky smooth sauce. For my palate I found it too sweet (I am not a fan of sweet things). I had the urge to add some lemon juice to the final sauce to add a sharpness. I wonder if it would work to use more vinegar and less sherry in the first reduction? Or perhaps just a less sweet sherry. This is not a criticism as I think many people would love the sweet caramel taste. It is a very rich sauce!

Last edited:
LNG:
Your sauce to me looks a bit thicker than I normally would serve--I like it slightly "pourable" like from a ladle.
Its a matter of preference of course, and yours turned out fine. But in case anyone doesn't know, here's a tip about making cream sauces, and also things like Veloutes. I.E., gravies. You generally want to cook it to a bit thinner than you actually want to serve it.
Because when you take it off the heat and start cooling it, it gets thicker. This just takes a little practice with whatever sauce you're making. Its especially pronounced with flour based projects, like Biscuits and Gravy.
Its also worth noting that your sauce ended quite thick, despite you having used half and half. As I said, it might take a bit longer, but you've certainly proved it can be successfully substituted!
Further worth mentioning, is your use of salt. Being as this is largely comprised of caramelized Sherry and cream, the result is a slightly sweet, rich sauce. My recipe is very basic however, and before the sauce is done, things can certainly be added to modify flavor--salt, white pepper, nutmeg, etc. In the initial reduction phase, the vinegar is not needed, but its presence is to offset that very sweetness and give the sauce a more complex "sweet-and sour" flavor.

Morning glory:
Your sauce turned out gorgeous. And trust me, very professional.
You obviously have a flair for taking food pics. I love the step by step pics--they can teach someone to make this sauce as good as any cookbook. I always wanted to take pics of things I made, but in the pro environment you just never have time. I even had someone come in once to take them for me while I was concocting.... but they just ended up getting in my way. lol

The creamy texture in yours is very rewarding after straining out the shallots, worth the effort. I've made it both ways, but prefer them to stay in. About that, you're absolutely right in straining them early. If you wait to long, that sticky reduction will be partially lost to the strainer device--not much, but that syrup is so packed with concentrated flavor you dont want to lose one tasty molecule of it. Besides, it only takes a couple of minutes of simmering to extract most of the flavor from the shallots, so at that point they wont "be missed" anyway. I will say, that you ended up with more syrup than I would have expected, for halving the recipe. :)

I stirred frequently to amalgamate the caramelised parts into the cream.

Yes I probably forgot to mention in my recipe that while you don't need to stir constantly, you do need to stir every few minutes, to incorporate that delicious brown flavor component back in.

Regarding the pan...its doesn't really matter, you used a saucepan it turned out fine.
I used a small wok type non stick pan in the B.Room. I will say however that 18 minutes is a long reduction time,
and if you guys ever find yourselves in a pinch to make this or any other reduction sauce in a short time, use a shallow
pan, like a 12 inch saute pan. The science is that, the greater surface area its spread over, the faster the reduction.
With such a pan, and doing the half version you made, I could do that Sherry shallot reduction in 3 to 4 minutes over medium to high heat, stirring a lot to keep the surface agitated.

All in all, excellent job guys!

Last edited:
My verdict. The technique really does work. Essentially, the first reduction caramelises further as it is cooked into the cream. The result is a silky smooth sauce. For my palate I found it too sweet (I am not a fan of sweet things). I had the urge to add some lemon juice to the final sauce to add a sharpness. I wonder if it would work to use more vinegar and less sherry in the first reduction? Or perhaps just a less sweet sherry. This is not a criticism as I think many people would love the sweet caramel taste. It is a very rich sauce!

Wha--was there a doubt? I know...proof of concept is everything. Except I HAVE made it a lot. lol
Now then, as I hinted a little in previous post, this is a basic, sweet complexly flavored sauce, owing 98% to the complexity of the Sherry.
Besides being a bit sweet for you personally, there are dishes the sweetness wouldn't lend itself to. But its a versatile sauce, and can be adapted to taste and application easily. There are two categories of modifications....
spices/liquid flavorings etc, and acids. The first can be added toward the end of cooking.
The second however, acids being things like lemon juice, vinegar, etc, you do not want to add to the cream or sauce breakage (curdling) can result. You want to,as you said, add it to the initial reduction process. So yes, you can experiment with the Sherry reduction all you want--you can add in your lemon, or your brandy, more or different vinegar etc, there. So long as you end with that greatly reduced syrup, you shouldn't have trouble with breakage, yet those additional flavor properties will still be incorporated.

That's very true Elawin, too much heat commonly separates cream and emusion sauces. But in the case of this sauce that I've made several times once I get that cream in there and going after the wine reduction I bring it to a real healthy simmer and it Bubbles and spits and all that and it does not separate. Well rarely. However, ive never deviated from the booze type either.

I made a cream and mustard sauce tonight. I stirred the mustard into the cream very gently and gave it a zap in the microwave for 30 seconds on full. It was lovely and thick, and did not separate.

.....we had a girl in there who thought she was learning how to cook. She wasn't very adept at it... so she was cleaning up and I had that sauce on the stove, simering, reducing down, and she came this close to throwing it out...she actually took it off the burner and said you done with this? And I said what are you doing, that is my sauce. She gave me a really sour look and just put it down and walked away LOL.
That reminds me of the last time I invited a particular friend round for Christmas dinner. I had a large stock pot full of bacon and vegetable stock simmering away on the stove. He volunteered to do the washing up after dinner (in spite of the fact that I have a perfectly capable dishwasher). He threw the stock away, thinking I had left the saucepan in soak. I haven't allowed him anywhere near the kitchen since.

Elawin
yes stocks and things like cornstarch slurrys get thrown out all the time by dishwashers and cleanup Crews.
One time my boss and were prepping all day I set aside some cornstarch slurry in a small measuring cup.
a few minutes later I looked up and it was gone I assume the dishwasher took it but it wasn't back there so my boss asked me what was wrong I told her and she put her hand to her mouth and said "I dumped it in my sweet potatoes I thought it was milk" .lol

MoGlo...
I was actually referring to LNGs Sauce being a bit thicker yours actually looks pretty good to me but if you wanted a bit thinner just take it off the heat a little sooner and it'll thicken as it cools as I explained above.
Yes you can add some water or cream or milk to it as long as it's not very much.

I was actually referring to LNGs Sauce being a bit thicker yours actually looks pretty good to me but if you wanted a bit thinner just take it off the heat a little sooner and it'll thicken as it cools as I explained above.
Yes you can add some water or cream or milk to it as long as it's not very much.

Oh, Ok - I misread that! - thought you meant my sauce was too thick. I intend to make the full chicken dish in the next few days. I may need to to let that sauce down a little to accompany it. You said my syrup looked a bit much for half the recipe. I suppose I could have gone further but I was afraid I'b burn it as there was so little in the pan.

Well don't misunderstand me I'm not saying that you ended up with too much syrup. It doesn't matter how much you end up with as long as your cream doesn't curdle from it, and it didn't so you're fine.
The cream is what thickens the dish-- the Sherry reduction merely flavors it. So if you want to cut back on the Sherry or change to dry sherry or use a mix of sherry and something else, all is good so long as you have enough of a reduction that you don't acid-curdle your sauce.
As to boozes, I'm still not convinced the brandy is what curdled LNGs sauce.
I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Meanwhile your sauce will keep a couple of days. do let us know how it turns out.
And if you need any suggestions for sides let me know.

IMG_0918.JPG

Well, here's my interpretation of your dish. I decided to fill it with asparagus and Portabella mushroom. I sautéed the mushrooms briefly in butter before putting them on the inside. I also used Gouda and black forest ham. I really love the glaze: this was a truly inspired move.

I cooked just one (enormous) chicken breast, and it was done in half an hour.

I think using half-and-half instead of heavy cream did make the cream sauce lumpier. And, I didn't strain the shallots out. It's still very tasty, but I agree that the texture isn't as smooth as it should be.

My overall verdict? Wow. So, so much better than any Chicken Cordon Bleu I've ever had. Thank you so much for sharing.

Last edited:
Well since you actually used Black Forest Ham, and at least a decent cheese,
I cant accuse you of creating a fraudulent dish, its still along the Cordon line.
However, your filling is a great departure, so I might tend to call it.....
Chicken Cordon Asparigio Portabellisimo. What do you think? :D
Seriously I cant very well speak ill here, since a true conniseur would consider mine
some sort of bastid creation as well. lol

I find it hard to believe that using half and half would make it lumpy.... :scratchhead:

By the way, your outer crust is beautiful. What did you use for breadcrumbs?
I agree with your technique, I would have sauteed the mushrooms first too,
in butter and garlic and a little wine or lemon juice.
You obviously baked it, did you use the posted inner glaze as well, or did you improvise?
It looks really moist!
It actually was a brain flash at the time--traditional Cordon Bleu you might find on say
youtube, they bread both sides. But it was drying out.
Only thing left to say is, you still need that strip of red pepper to really set of the visuals!:eek:

Last edited:
You obviously baked it, did you use the posted inner glaze as well, or did you improvise?

Ha....I just realized something. As I sometimes do, I didn't look too carefully at the directions: I often just see the ingredients and put things together the way I think makes sense. So, I ended up putting the glaze....on the outside, over the top of the breadcrumbs. It seemed strange at the time, but I went with it. Now, I think I might do this more often: what started out soggy crisped up from baking, and the taste was unmistakable with every bite.

By the way, the exterior is Panko breadcrumbs, salted and peppered before applying.

I have some oven dried tomatoes that I made. I don't know why didn't put them in.

And, yeah, I did wonder whether this could be called a Cordon Bleu. But, something doesn't have to be traditional for me to enjoy it. I think we improved upon the original greatly.

Last edited:
@Slumgullioneer and @The Late Night Gourmet, finally I've cooked the Chicken Cordon Bleu! I didn't use the spinach and peppers although I'm sure they are excellent additions. I used Gruyère cheese and Bayonne ham and coated the inside of the chicken breast with Dijon mustard then pan fried in butter. Delicious!

20171025_143822.jpg

20171025_144154.jpg

And complete with the sherry cream sauce which kept remarkably well in the fridge.

20171025_144352.jpg

That's gorgeous Morning Glory! Perfect golden brown, though as I said I prefer it baked.
Was it greasy at all? That inner glaze really works wonders.
And the sauce looking just like its supposed to. And yes it keeps well for several days
in the fridge, even when you're getting in and out of the sauce a lot. Its just cream and sherry,
so its pretty stable.
Excellent job!

@Slumgullioneer and @The Late Night Gourmet, finally I've cooked the Chicken Cordon Bleu! I didn't use the spinach and peppers although I'm sure they are excellent additions. I used Gruyère cheese and Bayonne ham and coated the inside of the chicken breast with Dijon mustard then pan fried in butter. Delicious!

View attachment 11262

View attachment 11263

And complete with the sherry cream sauce which kept remarkably well in the fridge.

View attachment 11264
OMG I am going to get some sherry on my next grocery order (the store I get food from curbside has liquor).

Back
Top Bottom