Recipe Chicken Marsala

Slumgullioneer

Über Member
Local time
11:10 PM
Here is the other half of the previously requested chicken recipes.
Just ask, and thee shalst be gifted with sweet enlightenment!

CHICKEN MARSALA
(Note: This is an "open quantity", i.e., not an "exact measurement" type recipe, and it's a
basic version we used in the commercial kitchen extensively. Most common (and tasty!)
variation is shown at the bottom.)

-boneless skinless chicken breasts , pounded thin.
-good, imported Marsala wine
-mushrooms, about 3 ounces per 2 breasts
-olive oil
-flour
-salt and pepper to taste

METHOD:
-Leave the breasts damp.
-Heat the olive oil just to the smoke point.
-Dredge breasts in flour, lay in pan. Cook til browned, turn, repeat for other side.
-Remove to plate. Add to pan: mushrooms and Marsala wine, about 1/2 cup per 2 breasts.
-Over high heat, set aflame. Add chicken back in (preferably while actively flaming)
-When alcohol has burned off, reduce heat and simmer slow, cook til mushrooms are tender and
wine has thickened.
-Plate, then garnish with fresh herbs of choice, eg, Italian Parsely, Basil, Sage.

(Variation: After the alcohol has burned off, reduce heat, add 1/4 cup heavy cream and 2T
unsalted butter per 2 chicken breasts. Cook til thickened and flavors are blended.
This would be called "Chicken Malsala La Creme").

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. As I said, this is extremely basic.
You can certainly jazz it up in all kinds of ways, herbs, spices, marinades etc.
But just this 4 ingredient version, if done properly and with lots of culinary energy,
is pretty much a mouth watering dish.

I suppose I forgot and should mention, that thin pounded chicken breasts are very
easy to over cook-care should be taken--if its white and runs clear, its safe.
Far too many people turn breasts to rubber out of fear of undercooking.

No problem. As I said, this is extremely basic.
You can certainly jazz it up in all kinds of ways, herbs, spices, marinades etc.
But just this 4 ingredient version, if done properly and with lots of culinary energy,
is pretty much a mouth watering dish.

I suppose I forgot and should mention, that thin pounded chicken breasts are very
easy to over cook-care should be taken--if its white and runs clear, its safe.
Far too many people turn breasts to rubber out of fear of undercooking.

Mine is a bit different in that it uses chicken thighs not breasts - and I don't pound them thin. That is from memory and I now must look up my recipe which is in hard copy somewhere! I do flame the Marsala as you do. Its all coming back to me!

I have to look at my traditional recipes for Veal or Chicken Marsala .. It is a very popular dish in both Milano and Sicilia where the Marsala appellation is ..

Your´s is lovely and thanks for posting ..

Back
Top Bottom