1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 tsp teaspoon ground cumin

Garnish
5-6 fresh mint leaves, chopped
Zest of an orange

Directions

Warm the olive oil over medium high heat in a tagine or large dutch oven. Once the oil is warm, add the chicken skin side down and cook just enough to brown skin. Remove the chicken. Add the rest of the ingredients, including orange juice, omitting the garnishes, stir to mix well, add the chicken skin side up, then lower heat to where mixture just simmers, cover with a tight fitting lid and let simmer for 40 minutes, turning chicken over after 20 minutes. Then, uncover the pan, turn chicken again so skin side is up, and let simmer for an extra 20 minutes or more to reduce the sauce by 1/3.

Add the garnish and serve over couscous.

Last edited:
I really liked it, not only because it tasted good, but it's basically a throw everything in 1 pot and let it cook meal. You only have to turn the chicken every 20 minutes (I went back and edited recipe because I forgot to add that in there), and then start the couscous in a pot the last 20 minutes or so of cooking time. I may try adding a very small pinch of saffron next time. May also try using boneless/skinless thighs and reduce cooking time by 10/10/10.

The original recipe said to use 1 of the chilis as garnish, but I didn't like the texture of the raw chili so that's why my picture shows chili strips as garnish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom