Recipe Chicken Ropa Vieja (Cuban Shredded Chicken)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:18 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
View attachment 20355

Ropa Vieja is typically done with beef. @CraigC posted a superb recipe about a year ago (which I wish I had seen before I made mine...I like the addition of sherry to the process). This is the chicken part of my Chicken Mofongo, but it can certainly be used for other awesome things like tacos, burritos, or just eating straight out of the bowl.

Ingredients

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and skin
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp oregano leaves
1 red onion
1 bell pepper
28 ounce can stewed tomatoes
2 tsp chili de arbol, ground
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 grapefruit
1 tsp kosher salt, adjusted to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper, adjusted to taste

Directions

1. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Sprinkle with cumin and oregano.

2. Cut onions and peppers in strips and place on top of chicken breasts.

IMG_0034.JPG

3. Cut stewed tomatoes into chunks and place on top. Sprinkle with chile de arbol powder, salt, and pepper.

IMG_0035.JPG

4. Cut grapefruit in half and juice the entire contents into the slow cooker.

IMG_0036.JPG

5. Place lid on slow cooker (don't lock it, but you know that already, right?). Cook on High for 4 hours.

6. Strain out the liquids into a bowl. Retain the liquids as a stock for a future recipe (such as Chicken Mofongo).

IMG_0038.JPG

7. Use two forks to shred the chicken.

IMG_0039.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. Interesting spin using chicken. I'm curious how the grapefruit flavor worked out. I am used to the naranja agria (bitter orange). My experiment in subbing chicken in Cuban cuisine is the Flying Cubano. Cuban sandwich with mojo chicken instead of pork and Turkey ham.

Interesting spin using chicken. I'm curious how the grapefruit flavor worked out.

I'm interested in this grapefruit flavour too. I love bitter tastes and this seems like an original way to introduce that flavour.

I'd never heard of the name naranja agria - but I think they are similar (or same) as Seville oranges which we use to make marmalade in the UK. I think they come into season in January (imported to UK) and its a very short season.

Looks good. Interesting spin using chicken. I'm curious how the grapefruit flavor worked out. I am used to the naranja agria (bitter orange). My experiment in subbing chicken in Cuban cuisine is the Flying Cubano. Cuban sandwich with mojo chicken instead of pork and Turkey ham.
Sounds delicious!

I'd never heard of the name naranja agria - but I think they are similar (or same) as Seville oranges which we use to make marmalade in the UK. I think they come into season in January (imported to UK) and its a very short season.

Yes. Bitter orange (naranja agria) is either Seville orange or a close offshoot of it. It is essential in Cuban food specifically in the Mojo seasoning. Usually you slow smoke a pork shoulder that has been dry rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, corriander, garlic, onion, and some ground chili peppers (not very spicy ones) and use the juice from the orange with garlic and parsley as a mop sauce. It's mostly used for pork, but works well with most proteins. It makes for great ribs.

Yes. Bitter orange (naranja agria) is either Seville orange or a close offshoot of it. It is essential in Cuban food specifically in the Mojo seasoning. Usually you slow smoke a pork shoulder that has been dry rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, corriander, garlic, onion, and some ground chili peppers (not very spicy ones) and use the juice from the orange with garlic and parsley as a mop sauce. It's mostly used for pork, but works well with most proteins. It makes for great ribs.

Well when Seville oranges come in season here in January I am going to have to try using them with slow cooked pork. :) :okay:

Back
Top Bottom