Recipe Chickpea, aubergine and pomegranate salad

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:06 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I rather like the idea of aubergine and pomegranate so thought I would add this recipe which combines then with chickpeas, cumin and tahini. I think the only thing missing really is pomegranate molasses which I think I would use instead of honey!

Chickpea-and-Aubergine-Salad.jpg

Ingredients
  • 400-500g baby aubergines, halved lengthways
  • 4tbsp olive oil
  • 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried with a kitchen towel
  • 2tsp ground cumin
  • 200g Greek yogurt
  • 1tbsp tahini
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • 2tsp runny honey or pomegranate syrup/molasses
  • 3-4tbsp pomegranate seeds
Method
  1. Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Toss the aubergines in half the oil. Put on a large, shallow baking tray - keep them spaced or they will steam, not roast. Season well and roast for 20 minutes.
  2. Now toss the chickpeas in 1tbsp oil with 1½tsp cumin, spread them out on another tray and roast for around 15 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile mix the yoghurt, tahini, remaining olive oil, lemon juice, honey/pomegranate syrup and remaining cumin until smooth, then set aside.
  4. Toss the aubergines with the chickpeas, sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds, drizzle over some of the dressing and serve the rest on the side.
Original recipe from
http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/537712/chickpea-and-aubergine-salad

Not bad. I could probably do this except I don't ever have chick peas on hand. I would say no one likes them but I might be assuming based on my own choices. I've only eaten them while out in a stew or with roti and that's about it.

I've only eaten them while out in a stew or with roti and that's about it.
I love chickpeas. I have them dried, dried in their skins, in 'flour' form and also ready cooked in a tin. I also have hummus readily available almost all of the time (it is made from chickpeas!). We often have falafels as well which are also made from them. I love them and they are a really good pulse to eat as well, being high in protein and minerals. I can't imagine not having them about in the kitchen let alone not only ever having eaten them twice! For me they are a great comfort food, one to snack on when I'm peckish!

Back
Top Bottom