Recipe Chilaquiles

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:26 PM
I'm putting this here because the original recipe is vegetarian.

Chilaquiles

Ingredients
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
12 Small or 6 large, stale corn or flour tortillas, cut into 1" strips
4 Medium tomatoes, finely chopped. about 1 pound
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Poblano, 2 jalapeno or 4 serrano chiles, stemed, seeded and finely chopped *
1 tsp dried epazote or dried oregano (preferrably Mexican)
1-2 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 Cup water ( making the Chicken Chilaquiles recipe below, use chicken stock in place of the water)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Cup grated semi-soft cheese (Monterey Jack, Cojita, Queso Fresco or a combination, about 3oz)
1 Cup Mexican crema or creme fraiche
1/4 Cup Copped cilantro/corriander leaves (optional)
A pinch or 2 of freshly ground cumin.

*Note: We use a poblano that I have blackened the skin with a propane torch, placed in a plastic bag to steam and then rinsed under cold, running water. I use a small kitchen brush to help with skin removal. This isn't the same as roasting the pepper as the flesh doesn't soften. It is simply a technique to remove the skin.

Directions
1) Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, until the oil begins to smoke.
2) Place as many tortilla strips in the pan without overlapping and fry until golden, pressing the under the oil to get the tops done. Remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat until all strips are done.
3) Drain oil from pan, leaving a thin coating.
4) Add tomateos, onion, garlic, epazote/oregano, cumin, water (1/4 cup), salt and pepper. Cook over med-high until the onions and tomatoes soften, about 8 minutes. This mixture should be on the dry side and not too watery. If too dry and water as necessary.
5) Add tortillas pieces and sprinkle cheese over top, cover and simmer until the cheese melts and the tortillas are soft again but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
6) Spread the cream over the top, sprinkle with cilantro/corriander leaves, if using, and serve immediately.

Chicken Chilaquiles (optional)

Additional Ingredients
4 Boneless/ skinless chicken thighs or two boneless/skinless breasts
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (can use drained oil from cooking the tortillas)
Freshly ground cumin to taste
S&P to taste

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) Heat oil over med-high in an oven safe skillet.
3) Sprinkle thighs/breasts on both sides with cumin, salt and pepper.
4) Add chicken to skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
5) Transfer skillet to oven and cook through, about 12 minutes for the thighs and slightly longer for breasts.
6) Remove skillet from oven and set aside to cool.
7) Once chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into thin strips.
8) Add shredded chicken in step "4" in the above recipe.
9) You may need to adjust the liquid after adding the chicken.

Last edited:
Nice! I like the fact you blacken the poblano. As I've recently acquired a chef's blow torch I'm now itching to do that! I'd never heard of epazote before - I am now on a quest to see if I can source it in the UK. It has notes of pine, I have read.

Nice! I like the fact you blacken the poblano. As I've recently acquired a chef's blow torch I'm now itching to do that! I'd never heard of epazote before - I am now on a quest to see if I can source it in the UK. It has notes of pine, I have read.
According to the Mexican food section of Chowhound you can also use coriander leaves (which may be a bit of overkill in this particular recipe!), or a mixture of oregano, savoury and boldo leaves (whatever they are!), instead of epazote or Mexican oregano.

Last edited:

The torch I use is an industrial hand held that can be used for silver soldering. Your chef's torch probably would take a very long time and may require a refueling stop.:D

The torch I use is an industrial hand held that can be used for silver soldering.
I've got one of those. Trouble is it's in the garage, and it's far too cold at the moment to go rattling around in there to look for it. Project for the warmer weather, I think :D

Thank you for posting this. I've tried chilaquiles twice in Michigan, and they've been disappointingly bland both times. What I have yet to do, though, is try chilaquiles in Mexican Town in Detroit: there is a significant Mexican population here, and what you get there is the genuine article. What I will probably do is make this, then go downtown to compare.

It's becoming clear to me why I don't have time to set up my food blog: there are so many great recipes here that I keep getting distracted! :laugh:

In the recipe, I put cojita as one of the cheeses. It should actually be cotija. You could also use Oaxaca.

Back
Top Bottom