Recipe Chili Con Carne with Kidney Beans Recipe

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
8:14 PM
Is there someone here who can share a simple and easy recipe on how to cook Chili Con Carne with Kidney Beans? These past few days I am dreaming to eat this dish that my mother usually cooks when I was still in our country. I forgot to bring the old recipe of my mother that I had in my home country and I had forgot already how to cook this dish because it was a long time ago since I got married and migrated to another country. Thank you in advance for those who will share. :)

Okay, here is our recipe for chili beans.

Ingredients:
- 1 kilo of beef cubes
- 1/2 kilo of kidney beans
- 6 pieces of red pepper
- 4 onions (small)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pieces of bell pepper
- 2 pieces of carrots
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon of sugar

Procedure:
Cook the beef until tender. In a separate pot, cook the kidney beans until tender (this takes longer than the beef). In a pan, fry the crushed garlic until golden brown before mixing the sliced onions and red pepper plus the soy sauce. When done, you can mix everything in one pot - beans, beef and the sautee mix. Bring to a boil before adding the sugar. That's it.

Okay, here is our recipe for chili beans.

Ingredients:
- 1 kilo of beef cubes
- 1/2 kilo of kidney beans
- 6 pieces of red pepper
- 4 onions (small)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pieces of bell pepper
- 2 pieces of carrots
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon of sugar

Procedure:
Cook the beef until tender. In a separate pot, cook the kidney beans until tender (this takes longer than the beef). In a pan, fry the crushed garlic until golden brown before mixing the sliced onions and red pepper plus the soy sauce. When done, you can mix everything in one pot - beans, beef and the sautee mix. Bring to a boil before adding the sugar. That's it.

This sounds really good. I have all the ingredients on hand so I think I am going to cook this up tonight for dinner. The days are starting to get a little chilly now so this will be perfect to meal to warm up with.

@Corzhens ...Thank you for sharing the recipe...Can I use chili pepper powder instead of the red pepper?

I think chili powder is just fine if the base of chili powder is red pepper and not black pepper. Sometimes we use Tabasco when there is no available red pepper in the garden - we only cook chili beans when there is a good harvest of red pepper in our garden, we never buy. The bell pepper also adds some hotness so do not overcook the green bell pepper, just a minute of boiling will do.

@Corzhens What I mean is the red pepper chili powder...Do you think if I will use this one it will not taste that spicy? Here in our place we had a lot of red pepper chili powder and as well as fresh red pepper. But I am always using the red pepper chili powder in my cooking. What do you think? Again thank you...

I think chili powder is just fine if the base of chili powder is red pepper and not black pepper. Sometimes we use Tabasco when there is no available red pepper in the garden - we only cook chili beans when there is a good harvest of red pepper in our garden, we never buy. The bell pepper also adds some hotness so do not overcook the green bell pepper, just a minute of boiling will do.

Well that answered my question, which was, are the red peppers bell peppers. I love bell peppers and poblano peppers, but I've never used either in my chili that I can recall. I always use canned beans, simply because it's quicker, and I will often mix the beans, using light and dark red kidney beans. I was actually berated one time on social media for putting beans in chili, because apparently some don't consider it chili if it contains beans. I quickly blocked the person and moved on. I don't need people like that in my life. What a jerk, food is to be experimented with, and in my opinion, recipes are guidelines, and don't have to be rigidly adhered to.

Well that answered my question, which was, are the red peppers bell peppers. I love bell peppers and poblano peppers, but I've never used either in my chili that I can recall. I always use canned beans, simply because it's quicker, and I will often mix the beans, using light and dark red kidney beans. I was actually berated one time on social media for putting beans in chili, because apparently some don't consider it chili if it contains beans. I quickly blocked the person and moved on. I don't need people like that in my life. What a jerk, food is to be experimented with, and in my opinion, recipes are guidelines, and don't have to be rigidly adhered to.

What? It is not chili if it has beans? Well, that guy must be ignorant of international dishes. But anyway, canned beans is not advisable since it is not naturally fresh. But, of course, it depends on your taste and as you said, you can always improvise on the recipe and no need to follow it strictly. By the way, I just want to clarify that you have 2 peppers for my recipe - the red pepper is the small elongated red berries and the bell pepper is the big green ones.

I use carrots, tomatoes and celery in my chili con carne I just really love the color and the addition of flavors along with the beef and the kidney beans (which is pretty heavy too). I'm looking for a lot of substitutes in my cooking these days since I'm trying to eat less beef and carbohydrates. I'm thinking of putting mushrooms and nuts but LOL it's not gonna be called chili con carne anymore.

I like to use a 6 bean medley in my chili. It comes in a can and has a nice variety of beans. It has chick peas, white kidney beans, red kidney beans, black eyed peas, romano bean and baby lima beans. I find it changes the chili a lot with respect to texture. Both my boys don't like kidney beans so when I use this mix they eat the other beans and only have to avoid a few kidney beans. I like to add celery, peppers, carrots and ground beef. I have substituted ground turkey before and it was great. No one really noticed and I now it was a healthier option.

My basic Chilli Con Carne recipe is:
- Beef (either mince or stewing steak)
- Chopped onions
- Red chillies (amount depends on how hot they are)
- Garlic
- Tinned tomatoes
- Red and green peppers
- Cumin
- Cocoa powder
- Black pepper
- Salt
- Kidney beans (I like to use dried - I use the same weight of dried beans as meat)

I also add chopped carrots & celery if I have some around and add a tsp of chipotle chilli paste if I want it smokey. For a veg version I replace the meat with little cubes of courgette.

What? It is not chili if it has beans? Well, that guy must be ignorant of international dishes. But anyway, canned beans is not advisable since it is not naturally fresh. But, of course, it depends on your taste and as you said, you can always improvise on the recipe and no need to follow it strictly. By the way, I just want to clarify that you have 2 peppers for my recipe - the red pepper is the small elongated red berries and the bell pepper is the big green ones.

Yes, apparently 'real' Texas chili has no beans. I still make mine with beans, because that way i can use less meat, and still get a rich, hearty taste, and it's even more nutritious. O.k., so the smaller red peppers are for the heat of the dish, yum, now I'm craving chili. I just pulled out my crock pot, so I'll probably be making a batch soon.

Yes, apparently 'real' Texas chili has no beans. I still make mine with beans, because that way i can use less meat, and still get a rich, hearty taste, and it's even more nutritious. O.k., so the smaller red peppers are for the heat of the dish, yum, now I'm craving chili. I just pulled out my crock pot, so I'll probably be making a batch soon.

Yes, my husband said that chili con carne is hot beef that is cooked without beans. But the chili beans is a way to include extender - the beans act as extender which is cheaper and healthier. With the small red peppers, they are the hottest, I think, so that Mexicans are craving for that when they are here in our country. Right in our backyard, we have that small red pepper that is heavily fruiting now. And that's what we use for the chili beans that we cook, authentic red pepper for the chili flavor.

Back
Top Bottom