The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:13 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1266.JPG

Check the web, and you'll see many recipes for chili-lime chicken, chili-lime shrimp...even chili-lime tofu! If this is the first chili-lime beef recipe, I'll be shocked, but it's the first I've seen.

The sirloin I ground for this is absurdly lean (something on the order of 93%/7%). This is unusable by itself as a burger (not enough moisture from fat), but definitely workable with a few adjustments (I've found chopped mushroom integrated into the meat works incredibly well). I made my own guacamole, but any good quality one will do.

Ingredients

1 pound lean ground sirloin
2 white mushrooms, diced
1 lime, seeds and skin discarded
4 Calabrian chili peppers
2 pickled habanero peppers
salt and pepper
4 ounces guacamole (or more according to taste)
4 ounces cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Chop lime flesh and peppers finely, together with the mushroom and a dash of salt and pepper. NOTE: after taking the picture, I decided to chop it much more finely than you see here.

IMG_1263.JPG

2. Blend thoroughly with ground sirloin and form into 4 equal patties. Sprinkle salt and pepper on one side of the patty.

IMG_1264.JPG

NOTE: Meat this lean cooks faster than you might expect. This cook time yields a slightly pink center that's also very juicy and flavorful.

3. On medium heat, cook patties for 4 minutes, then flip over. Continue cooking for another 4 minutes, or more if you like it more on the well-done side. Add cheddar to the top of the patty and heat until melted.

IMG_1265.JPG

4. Place burger on a bun and top with guacamole.

Last edited:
I like the idea of using the lime flesh in the burger. I've certainly not seen that done before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom