Chili Oil

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
5:04 PM
What kind of oil do you prefer to use if you are making your own chili oil? Do you use corn oil, vegetable oil, canola, or peanut oil? What other ingredients do you add as a personal preference, do you use pepper corns or sesame seeds? For the chilies, do you use dried, powdered or do you grind them on your own?

Most recipes use dried chilli and/or chilli flakes or seeds. I do that sometimes, but more often use fresh chilli (Scotch Bonnet is my favourite). I normally remove the fresh chilli after heating the oil gently for 4-5 minutes and allowing to cool. But I currently have some with a whole Scotch Bonnet in the bottle! I think its likely to get hotter and hotter with age!

As for oil, I use cold-pressed rapeseed (rapeseed is the plant used to make Canola oil) or sometimes olive oil.

I don't often add other spices or herbs as I just want the chilli kick. :pepper::heat: :D

A good quality veg oil ,and chopped red chillis for me ,some times I will heat the oil slightly ,birds eye chillis are another good one
It would be a waste of a good olive oil for me a pomace oil would be good

A good quality veg oil ,and chopped red chillis for me ,some times I will heat the oil slightly ,birds eye chillis are another good one
It would be a waste of a good olive oil for me a pomace oil would be good
Pomace oil? You are probably correct regarding the olive oil. But I just use a cheap olive oil fro Aldi.

@Berties , I'd be interested to know whether you think it necessary to heat the oil? Could one make it simple and pop a few dried or fresh chillies into the bottle of oil, rather than decanting?

@Berties , I'd be interested to know whether you think it necessary to heat the oil? Could one make it simple and pop a few dried or fresh chillies into the bottle of oil, rather than decanting?
I do a lot of oils if you heat the oil the flavour tends to get into the oil faster but it does often loose some of the colour

I do a lot of oils if you heat the oil the flavour tends to get into the oil faster but it does often loose some of the colour
OK. I'll try doing it without heating. After all, what could be easier than popping a few (punctured) scotch bonnets into a bottle of oil and then just leaving it to itself for a few days (or weeks)! :D

Our cooking oil is canola. I don't remember the reason why we shifted from vegetable oil into canola. Maybe it's the price or the promotions. But anyway, canola oil to fry chili is what we sometimes do. But take note that it is very rare when we make chili sauce (that's how we call it here) because it is anathema to my husband's stomach problem. But the other week when our red pepper was heavily fruiting, we were prodded to make chili sauce from the big harvest.

When I'm feeling really generous and luxurious I use olive oil because it's good for the health and not only do I add chili flakes but maybe some sun-dried tomatoes to taste because they're really wonderful especially with a lot of garlic. Usually though I just use sesame oil for my chili recipes, they're a really good combination especially for chicken and other roasted viands.

I've olive oil before but I use a lot of canola oil so I think I'd use the mildness of canola oil. I grow jalapeno peppers and a pepper plant called sweet heat in my garden. I want to dry them out and try making chili oil for my husband. I think I'll also add some chili flakes to ramp up the heat and maybe a few serrano chilis or scotch bonnets. To round out the flavours I'll add some pepper corns, garlic and oregano. I can't wait to try it. This sounds like it's be a great Christmas gift, place in a beautiful bottle and add pretty labels. I might just give some infused oils to my kids' teachers.

Back
Top Bottom