Chillies - what types are available where you live?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:22 PM
Mod. Edit: posts moved to start a new thread

Chillies go in whole generally but obviously I chop them sometimes

Whole chilies.............

red cayenne.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How big are those? Are they hot?

The dish is 150mm (6") dia. They are medium hot cayennes. I use them both for chili con carne and salsa with the addition of very hot Thai chilies (not prik kee noo).

Occasionally we get green cayennes which I add to chili con carne but not to salsa (also with hot Thai chilies).

chilies-l.jpg

The dish is 150mm (6") dia. They are medium hot cayennes.
Oh they are long! In which case I would chop them up. If I use Scotch Bonnets ar Naga I often just pierce them with a sharp knife in several places - they will flavour the whole dish without making it ridiculously hot for those who can't take it (I eat the whole chillies).

Last edited:
In the UK we can get a wide range of chillies thanks to the 'chilli farms' around the country - but unless you happen to live near one you need to order on-line. The supermarkets generally don't stock a huge variety - mainly hot 'birds-eye' and the short fat green and red mild chillies (not sure what variety they are). If you are lucky you can find Scotch Bonnets or Naga chillies in the supermarket and some supermarkets offer a pack of 'mixed chillies'. I am talking here about fresh chillies. Dried chillies are a whole other matter...

Last edited:
Here in Australia, we get hot red, hot green, hotter red and you got it, hotter green. But neither my husband nor myself find either particularly hot.

There are no named varieties unless you go to a garden centre and buy either a plant or seeds. So that's what we did. Grew our own and guess what? We don't find them particularly hot unless we accidentally rub our eyes or lips a few hours later....

Here in Australia, we get hot red, hot green, hotter red and you got it, hotter green. But neither my husband nor myself find either particularly hot.

There are no named varieties unless you go to a garden centre and buy either a plant or seeds. So that's what we did. Grew our own and guess what? We don't find them particularly hot unless we accidentally rub our eyes or lips a few hours later....

Yes - I was watching a TV programme with an Australian chef in Vietnam - he remarked that it was impossible to replicate the chilli dishes he was making there because in Australia there were no hot chillies!

Is someone missing a marketing/growing opportunity down under? Surely there can't be some strange property of the soil or climate which only produces non-hot chillies!

I will look the next time I am at the store.
Off hand: jalapeños, habaneros, poblano and a few others.

There's a "farmer's" market near my old house where the various shops are run by either Mexican immigrants, Asian immigrants, or Middle Eastern immigrants.

You can buy just about any chili that I've ever heard of or read about in one of their shops. The common ones, common to America that is, are available fresh, but the other more obscure ones are sold dried.

My favorite shops for chilis are the Mexican ones. There are more types of dried chilis than you can shake a stick at. (Why you would want to shake a stick, or end a sentence with a preposition is beyond me).

I made an excellent chili powder last year using dried serranos, anchos, chipotles, pasilla, and mulato chilis. It was 1000x better than any store bought chili powder.

There's a "farmer's" market near my old house where the various shops are run by either Mexican immigrants, Asian immigrants, or Middle Eastern immigrants.

You can buy just about any chili that I've ever heard of or read about in one of their shops. The common ones, common to America that is, are available fresh, but the other more obscure ones are sold dried.

My favorite shops for chilis are the Mexican ones. There are more types of dried chilis than you can shake a stick at. (Why you would want to shake a stick, or end a sentence with a preposition is beyond me).

I made an excellent chili powder last year using dried serranos, anchos, chipotles, pasilla, and mulato chilis. It was 1000x better than any store bought chili powder.
If you shake a stick at a dog, sometimes he will go to where you want him.
Other news, I have talked to several "Scotty's" over the last couple of days.
They all recommended a better antenna than my $7 cheapie from Amazon.

Your antenna would depend on the signal strength: the power of the local transmitter, how far away you are, and geographical obstacles (mountains and such).

You might need an aerial antenna on your roof, like in the old days.

Or a really big wire hanger.

Getting back to chilis, you must be able to get really great Mexican chilis down by you.

Your antenna would depend on the signal strength: the power of the local transmitter, how far away you are, and geographical obstacles (mountains and such).

You might need an aerial antenna on your roof, like in the old days.

Or a really big wire hanger.

Getting back to chilis, you must be able to get really great Mexican chilis down by you.
Scotty, first off, yes they all suggested I rehook up my aerial antenna. Though one station is still running 1960's era equipment.
As to the chiles, oh yes.
How many do you want?
https://www.heb.com/search/?q=Peppers
And note: I am not sure what the actual Mexican grocery stores carry.

Back
Top Bottom