Chillis-what do you use

Curiously, there is very little choice in the type of chili you get here. Red, green. That's it. No hot, medium, mild... No rating for heat, nothing. Just red or green. Sometimes they are large, othertimes they are small. Curiously though,even the small red chilies don't seem to be that hot. I'm now growing my own. In the course of growing them however, I have discovered that both chickens and possums can't sense the heat/hotness of a chili and will much through dozens of them quite happily!
Here, while the various peppers are sorted only in the cans do you know if they are hot, medium or mild.
I have made jalapeño poppers where some were nice and sweet and the next one might be super hot. All the peppers were bought at the same time.

Curiously, there is very little choice in the type of chili you get here. Red, green. That's it. No hot, medium, mild... No rating for heat, nothing. Just red or green. Sometimes they are large, othertimes they are small. Curiously though,even the small red chilies don't seem to be that hot. I'm now growing my own. In the course of growing them however, I have discovered that both chickens and possums can't sense the heat/hotness of a chili and will much through dozens of them quite happily!

That is strange indeed (the lack of chillies). I have watched quite a few Australian based cookery programmes and it hasn't ever struck me.. but perhaps restaurants have their own supply. You might like to read this: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...-out-of-season-growing-chillies-in-mid-winter

I wasn't talking about chili in that sense. Green chiles come in a can and are something you enhance food with.
Todd, they knew what you were talking about, Morning Glory just used her spelling.
They don't have chili (as in the stuff that wins and loses cookoffs) across the pond.

Welcome to the international world of food. What is spelled one way in one country, may be spelled different in another.
Oh and should one of them offer you a biscuit, do not put gravy on it.

Todd, they knew what you were talking about, Morning Glory just used her spelling.
They don't have chili (as in the stuff that wins and loses cookoffs) across the pond.

Welcome to the international world of food. What is spelled one way in one country, may be spelled different in another.
Oh and should one of them offer you a biscuit, do not put gravy on it.
I'm now confused! :laugh: Can you explain what Todd is referring too?

We have chilli here (the stuff that is made with meat and often beans). In fact I made one recently and posted it here. But if you look at the top post its obvious this thread is about types of chillies as in the vegetable.

images-184.jpeg

He read your double l chilli as chili.
Now that tin is a third spelling!
Here chilies = chilies = what's on that can chiles.

We tend as a rule (at least in the house I grew up in) to clarify chilli from chilli, to call it chilli con carne! That way the former is the spice and the latter the dish!

Berties spelling of chillis is dyslexic even to me, but I do recognise it as the spice. as @morning glory states, to us in the UK, it is clear he is referring to the spice chilli.

Now that tin is a third spelling!
Here chilies = chilies = what's on that can chiles.

We tend as a rule (at least in the house I grew up in) to clarify chilli from chilli, to call it chilli con carne! That way the former is the spice and the latter the dish!

Berties spelling of chillis is dyslexic even to me, but I do recognise it as the spice. as @morning glory states, to us in the UK, it is clear he is referring to the spice chilli.
I think food is the hardest to translate even from English to English.
Here we spell the dish chili con carne. Of course we also have hot dog chili which is a thinner version of chili con carne and never has beans.

These are the chilis which I put in my chili con carne.

chili-chili-s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom