Chip Butty

A butty is slang for a sandwich. So a chip butty is chips (English chips which are fat potato fries) between two slices of bread. My view is that the chips ought to be crispy on the outside and soft in the middle and the bread (buttered) should be medium cut soft white bread. No wholegrain for this! I like brown sauce (H.P.sauce) in mine too.

Last edited:
It's about the best thing you can eat after a pint or 12.

To put it in American terms, I like my bread a little thicker, like Texas toast size, very lightly toasted and buttered, with lots of salt and malt vinegar on the steak fries.

TBH the chip butty is also often served in a bread bun [tea cake / balm cake / oven bottom cake / choose your own definition - but just plain bread of course] which sort of fits in with your thicker bread. Malt vinegar :thumbsup: Salt :thumbsup: are good too although tomato ketchup and brown sauce work well :thumbsup:.
For a more filling meal a fried egg can be added but we are drifting into the realms of haute cuisine there. :chef:

I like the idea of a chip butty being in a crisp roll spread with mayo (admittedly not tried though!)

I have heard of people making a crisp sandwich...that doesn't appeal to me and I am a crispaholic!

Crisps are good on certain sandwiches, but I don't think they can stand on their own. Like morning glory mentioned, you need the flesh of the potatoes as a primary actor.

Last edited:
Crisps are good on certain sandwiches, but I don't think they can stand on their own. Like morning glory mentioned, you need the flesh of the potatoes as a primary actor.
'Primary actor' huh? I'll remember that technical phrase as I feast on a chip butty! :okay:

There is probably a technical word for being hedonistically transported by an edible delight! ...Major director?
588401.gif
Hmmm...needs some work...

'Primary actor' huh? I'll remember that technical phrase as I feast on a chip butty! :okay:

There is probably a technical word for being hedonistically transported by an edible delight! ...Major director?
588401.gif
Hmmm...needs some work...

The escapist narrative (of the dish). perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom