Chocolate Chip Cookies - Baking Soda or Baking Powder

zandi

Veteran
Local time
5:23 AM
In our house, this is a little debate. My daughter says the cookies taste and turn out better using baking powder, but I see the recipes call for baking soda. (Granted, I improvise on what I throw in. If we do not have brown sugar, I just use white cane sugar, etc.) Nevertheless, I am wondering, is there really a difference between using baking soda and powder? I mean, I know there has to be something going on because sometimes are cookies turn out thin and crispy and other times like a hard biscuit? But, I thinking this might be from me not measuring exactly. I just take a pinch and throw it into the bowl.

Baking powder is bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar.
Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda only.

Cream of tartar is potassium bitartrate, (potassium hydrogen tartrate) which reacts with bicarbonate of soda when moist and warm react and give off carbon dioxide, which causes foods to rise.

Last edited:
I actually use a little of both depending on the recipe. All my baking has very similar recipe traits. I think I got those from my stubborn grandmother. Perhaps that's where I got the 'being incredibly stubborn' gene from as well?

I actually use a little of both depending on the recipe. All my baking has very similar recipe traits. I think I got those from my stubborn grandmother. Perhaps that's where I got the 'being incredibly stubborn' gene from as well?
I keep all three in my cupboard. Some recipes need different proportions so all 3 have always lived side by side....

I use a little of both when I am cooking.

Back
Top Bottom