Chocolate cravings - one for the ladies :)

FoodEnergetics

Local time
10:49 AM
Hi ladies,

Some of you may share a similar problem - I'm quite a big chocolate fan (and should reduce my consumption overall) but my point here is that I struggle to control my consumption of chocolate and sweet stuff (although mostly chocolate) when I'm about to get my period.

My understanding so far is that the craving is due to my body lacking magnesium just before/ as I get my period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a chocolate fan whatever the case, but especially during and just before the time of the month I really struggle to avoid it.
Currently, I attempt to substitute some of my chocolate consumption for dates, but it's not always enough. Has any one had the same/ similar thing? And have you found an effective alternative to eat instead of masses of chocolate? Does eating the likes of cashews/ dates/ broccoli help to keep magnesium/ nutrient levels high throughout the month and so not lead to such a crash when the time comes?

Thanks guys... (girls! :laugh:

I'm one of those lucky (?) people who doesn't crave chocolate at all. I'll eat it occasionally but I'm not mad about it. I went through the menopause ages ago but can't recall getting any particular post menstrual or menstrual food cravings. I just felt grumpy! Pregnancy cravings were another matter...

I think its only dark chocolate which is high in magnesium. Apparently tofu is high in magnesium too but I never heard of anyone with a tofu craving. :)

No chocolate cravings?! Wow! you must crave cheese then and it seems to be that people crave one or the other! haha
I definitely don't crave tofu, and in fact, avoid it completely due to allergies I have (soy milk/ peanuts etc.) so need to look at alternatives. I'm just curious if others who have the same types of cravings find that when they eat high magnesium / nutrient rich foods throughout the month, they don't have such intense cravings during menstruation.

Yes, a bit too much, but only thing I can say is mine got better with age, probably started decreasing in early 30s. I did finally realize it was better if I satisfied craving early on, didn't take as much to satisfy early on versus fighting it and waiting.

The only thing that matters, is no one was seriously hurt or injured. Lol

Maybe then this is for a health forum.. or for some people it shouldn't be discussed at all. I just saw it as relevant given the connection to food.
I also thought periods were a natural part of a woman's life and not a taboo :coffee:

Anyhow, medtran and morning glory, thanks for your responses!

I can't remember ever having a hormonal craving for a particular food so I can't really help with personal advice of how to manage them I'm afraid. There's an interesting article here - which puts forward the point of view that in general, cravings aren't actually due to nutrient deficiencies but instead they are psychological.....when you're feeling low, if you eat dopamine-inducing foods (ie. high fat and and sugar) then it makes you feel better.

If cravings are psychological then maybe good coping mechanisms would be ones similar to what people use when they are trying to lose weight and are tempted by high-calorie treats? The simplest (but most difficult!) being willpower: just saying no, or just having a little bit of whatever it is you fancy. An easier coping mechanism is exercise: exercise also releases dopamine so getting up and doing something physical (even just going for a 15 minute walk) will cause the same chemical reaction in the brain as eating chocolate. It also removes you from the scene of the original temptation and gives you an additional good feeling because you've done something good rather than just reaching for the chocolate.

Maybe then this is for a health forum.. or for some people it shouldn't be discussed at all. I just saw it as relevant given the connection to food.
I also thought periods were a natural part of a woman's life and not a taboo :coffee:
I don't think its TMI.....like you say, its a natural process and there is a long-standing connection to food. We've had plenty of topics discussing health issues related to food (weight loss, cholesterol) so I'm more than happy to see it discussed here :okay:

Last edited:

Your post is fine here - as you say, menstruation isn't a taboo subject and to discuss healthy eating in relation to it is perfectly on topic. I think @MrsDangermouse's advice, above is good.

Last edited:
Thanks so much MrsDangermouse - 1. for taking the time to reply, 2. for the link/ info you provided and 3. for seeing the relevance!

I read that chocolate is not really good to eat during your monthlies cause of the caffine. Caffeine will increase water retention and water retention is already a problem during your monthlies. Have you tried carob instead?

Thankfully my monthly grief no longer occurs. I will admit a few years ago I was almost climbing the walls so my lovely husband went out in the biting cold to buy me some chocolate. These days roles are reversed, he is addicted to chocolate whereas I can take or leave it. Hotel Chocolate Mojito chocolates are to die for :thumbsup:

They are perfectly natural occurances but some people are still a bit squeamish about discussing such things. I am lucky in that my husband was always supportive of moods, cravings etc..he never had any issues picking up my hygiene products.

Back
Top Bottom