Recipe Chocolate Fondants (Molten Lava Cakes)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:42 PM
My last belated blast for The CookingBites Cookalong: Soufflés and Fondants.

This is a tried and tested recipe. Perfect for dinner parties as you make them ahead of time and store in the fridge. Then all you need to do is pop them in the oven for 12mins, turn out and serve. I’ve made this recipe many times and its foolproof. I often make just two by using the quantity of ingredients listed below the main ingredients list. I confess I cannot remember where this recipe came from. I have a hunch it might be Delia Smith - but I can’t find it on-line. I've probably adapted it in any case.

You don't need a food-processor for this recipe. I used metal dariole moulds but you could use ramekins.

fullsizeoutput_36fc.jpeg

Ingredients
For 6 fondants:
175g butter plus extra to grease moulds
175g dark chocolate (70%)
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
50 ml of strong black coffee (I use instant)
85g plain flour
Pinch of salt
Cocoa powder for dusting the moulds

For 2 fondants:

60g butter
60g dark chocolate
65g caster sugar
1 egg
Splash of strong black coffee
30g plain flour

Method
  1. Grease the dariole moulds with butter and then coat with cocoa powder.
  2. Melt the butter and chocolate together (I use microwave). Allow to cool slightly.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  4. Fold the chocolate mixture and the coffee into the egg mix. Then gradually fold in the flour ensuing it is thoroughly mixed.
  5. Divide the mix between the moulds, leaving 1 cm gap at the top.
  6. Chill in the fridge. You can leave them overnight.
  7. Heat the oven to 180 C and cook for exactly 12 mins. The mixture will puff up and form a crust on top but it should have a slight wobble.
  8. Place the serving plate over the top of the mould and turn upside down to remove the mould.
  9. Serve dusted with cocoa powder or with cream.
fullsizeoutput_3702.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a very nice variation on a French classic. We (the village and I) crank out fondant au chocolat at a scary rate - almost like we're having our own weekly Bake-Offs. However this is the first time I've seen coffee used in a fondant (perhaps it's in all the books but we just don't bother). I've taken the liberty of sending your sumptuous photograph to a friend who's feeling down - hoping that it'll cheer her up.

More chocolate please ...

That's a very nice variation on a French classic. We (the village and I) crank out fondant au chocolat at a scary rate - almost like we're having our own weekly Bake-Offs. However this is the first time I've seen coffee used in a fondant (perhaps it's in all the books but we just don't bother). I've taken the liberty of sending your sumptuous photograph to a friend who's feeling down - hoping that it'll cheer her up.

More chocolate please ...

Please post your village recipe(s)! The coffee doesn't make it taste of coffee - its an old trick which can be used in chocolate cakes or, in fact anything chocolatey - ice-cream, mousse etc.. It simply enhances the chocolate taste; as does the addition of salt.

Please post your village recipe(s)! The coffee doesn't make it taste of coffee - its an old trick which can be used in chocolate cakes or, in fact anything chocolatey - ice-cream, mousse etc.. It simply enhances the chocolate taste; as does the addition of salt.

Yes, OK - I will post a generic fondant recipe, with photos. Our best fondant maker has just gone on holiday so it might not be for a couple of weeks. Your comment about the use of coffee is noted.

Yes, OK - I will post a generic fondant recipe, with photos. Our best fondant maker has just gone on holiday so it might not be for a couple of weeks. Your comment about the use of coffee is noted.
I didn't know that that. When I made my souffle, I cranked up the coffee content because I like the flavor...and, no surprise, I got complaints that it had too strong a coffee flavor. I'll remember not to omit the coffee the next time I try something like this.

Back
Top Bottom