2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
1 small egg
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp sunflower oil

To serve:

Icing sugar, cream, ice cream, or natural yoghurt

Method:
  1. Put dry ingredients into a large mug and mix well.
  2. Add the egg and whisk in with a fork. Gradually add the milk and oil, and stir well.
  3. Cook in a microwave for 2½ minutes on full power.
  4. Leave to rest for 1 minute.
  5. Serve sprinkled with icing sugar, or a couple of spoonfuls of cream, ice cream, or yoghurt

Love this!

No self rising flour in the house. I have APF, bread flour and cake flour. Also have both baking soda and baking powder. Suggestions for modifying the recipe please.

Last edited:
As tempting & good as this looks, I'm skeptical about trying it.
Doesn't a cake cook in the microwave tend to be on the rubbery side? :unsure:

As tempting & good as this looks, I'm skeptical about trying it.
Doesn't a cake cook in the microwave tend to be on the rubbery side? :unsure:

That can be true. But I've seen top Chefs on TV using this method. I think its a fine line between cooked and rubbery... the microwave is a great thing but it does need critical timing.

About the only thing that I ever do with a microwave is use it for reheating leftovers & for making popcorn.I don't cook in it or defrost foods in it.

Last edited:
Mine is 900 watts. :wink:
The one we used at work was 1000W - a bit of a culture shock when the one I had at home at the time was only 400W :laugh: Most recipes these days seem to be for 800W as standard, but I'd always err on the side of caution when making something for the first time. My last 800W one did not seem to be as accurate as the one I have now as far as timings were concerned.

The one we used at work was 1000W - a bit of a culture shock when the one I had at home at the time was only 400W :laugh: Most recipes these days seem to be for 800W as standard, but I'd always err on the side of caution when making something for the first time. My last 800W one did not seem to be as accurate as the one I have now as far as timings were concerned.

Four hundred watts?!!

Boy!! That must be awfully slow!! Microwave ovens are like computers. The more power or memory you have, the faster it works. :wink:

Love this!

No self rising flour in the house. I have APF, bread flour and cake flour. Also have both baking soda and baking powder. Suggestions for modifying the recipe please.

Self raising flour is just cake flour with baking powder added. Standard conversion is: 2 teaspoons of baking powder for each 150g/6oz/1 cup plain flour

Back
Top Bottom